1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Very strange indeed...

If you go to google and do a search for the following keywords:
    study abroad

link #28 is www.travelabroad.com. This is a competitor of the company I work for. Our link doesn't come up until #52 (www.studiesabroad.com).

What I don't understand is if you go to their page, they don't have a PR and we have a PR of 6.

Doesn't this seem kind of strange?

any opinions would be appreciated.

thanks,
    MLM
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

the reason for this is their page is optimized for a better se ranking.

if you count the keyword density on their website they mention the word "study abroad" 4 times, but they are together and the amount of characters on their page is like 300, so you see their keyword is 4/300.

your website mentions this word 2 times but the amount of characters on your page is like 1000 your keyworld density is 2/1000...

take some time to think about how you can "optimize your page"
  5. Contributing User

Thanks for the suggestion! But I don't understand why they have NO ranking at all.

-MLM
  7. Contributing User

maybe they recieved the pr0...

one of my websites this month recieved the pr0 and it still ranks for all the keyterms it was originally ranking for...

so just wait and see how it all goes i guess...optimizing your site so that you rank better then him is best for you anyway.
  9. Contributing User

mlm. When I clicked on the travelabroad link it looked for a split second like a PR 1 or 2 on my toolbar then a quick refresh to their index.cms page which has a grey toolbar (Page not ranked)

Also I found this listing for them in google:

Study Abroad in England, London - Frequently Asked Questions
    Frequently Asked Questions London, England. ...
    www.travelabroad.com/london/faq.asp - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

When you click on the link it does not take you to faq.asp but faq.cms

I am guessing that the site in question has switched over from asp to the cms format and these new pages are not in the index yet.

I did find one of their cms page in the index: http://www.travelabroad.com/country.cms/itemid=spain That one is a PR4

Here is a listing of all their pages in the index, you can run through it if you like

http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:www.travelabroad.com&hl=en&a mp;lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=0
  11. Contributing User

Originally posted by "mlm"

Thanks for the suggestion! But I don't understand why they have NO ranking at all.

-MLM
    page rank is different than position. as the previous poster says, get your keyword density up and you will climb up... and with a higher keyword density, and a better PR, you'll move a head in a few months. They return a better match for people searching for those keywords than you do, it is all in the content. It eats content.. quit worrying about comparing PR and get your key word density up!!! You can easily mention it at least 5 more times on the page, and then a couple variations also...

zen
  13. The only way to go

Cannot agree more

Use Content, Keywords, text links in and out get your keyword density up
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zen
    page rank is different than position. as the previous poster says, get your keyword density up and you will climb up... and with a higher keyword density, and a better PR, you'll move a head in a few months. They return a better match for people searching for those keywords than you do, it is all in the content. It eats content.. quit worrying about comparing PR and get your key word density up!!! You can easily mention it at least 5 more times on the page, and then a couple variations also...

zen
    Thanks Mr ZEN,
    Sounds quite like most facts I've uncovered in SEO so far.My sites will be up soon 'cos these issues have been keeping me back. In fact this is the main reason I'm registered in this forum in the first place.

But something really bothers me here; It looks to me like the "Study Abroad" niche is something close to the over flogged "Make Money Online" niche.What's your view on this?