1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Which url for backlinks?

Just took a marketing position and in my previous jobs, have always used a CMS to update website content.

The website of the organization I am working with is built with the shtml file extension. I have been taking a look at the organization's backlinks and not sure if what I have uncovered is an issue.

I am not sure if my question falls under canonicalization?

When clicking through to our homepage:

http://www.example.com

The url redirects to:
    http://www.example.com/index.shtml

(the content is exactly the same for both urls.)

There are backlinks to both of the urls above on partner websites, blogs etc.

I would like to streamline the links so they just point to the: http://www.example.com url.

The www.example.com url is on all marketing materials, business cards etc.

I can reach out the folks regarding the backlinks but how do I know which url to prioritize?

Thanks for any advice. If additional information is needed, I am happy to try and provide it.
  3. No Profile Picture

The priority is given to your homepage url , that is www example com , rather than your /index url . It shows only redirection for index url , nothing to be worry.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Without knowing your domain name I can't actually check what is happening with the various versions of the website in terms of canonicalised URLs.

In general I would like to have the 'home' page be the domain as is and not the /index page. However, you need to look through you menu structures etc and check and see where they all point. It may not be worth trying to change to the www (dot) example (dot) com if everything is working otherwise. (Just check you don't have canonical issues with your menus and that any redirects are 301s.
    Last edited by Kevin H; Dec 14th, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

If your getting paid to do seo for this company you really should know the basics first! This really is a basic question that someone should know before taking on any seo role!

Example Domain

The url redirects to:
    Example Domain

(the content is exactly the same for both urls.)
    This is what your meant to do, redirecting www. /index and so to or from the root domain is something that any seo and even webmaster should know and do without thinking these days!

There are backlinks to both of the urls above on partner websites, blogs etc.
    You should try to stick to one form of linking, but its not going to kill your site or rankings if you have links pointing to both variations of the home page url. As for external links, do you really thing everyone in the world will link the same? No, the variation in links pointing to your site will help to show google they are natural links, so I wouldn't both changing any external links, leave them as they are and just sort your internal links if you feel you must.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks to you all for the advice, feedback & suggestions!