1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

UK based fishing website business, how much is it worth?

This is for a UK based website and business:

Now im in full time employment I am thinking of either selling my own website as a whole business or outsourcing so I don't have to commit to it timewise as obviously this will benefit me and my employers and I don't want the distraction of going home and working on it.

I wondered if you guys had an idea of what websites are worth as a whole business if sold or any pointers or places I can arrange this.

I estimate since it went live last November its turned over 10k in sales with probably about 5,000 in profit, this was affected by the google sandbox so i lost 4 months good rankings and also the sites only got 450 products on there at present. The websites probably being run at 40% its full potential and has not been updated for a good few months now. It also has an affiliate system in place and good rankings in google and other engines too.

Where do i start??
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Having read many previous "How much is my website worth?" threads on other forums, most responses seem to be in the region of 3x the annual profit on the site, assuming that the revenue and costs are likely to remain similar after the site has changed hands.

For a site generating as much turnover as yours, I would recommend you get accounts drawn up for prospective buyers to look at - perhaps putting other pieces of information relevant to your business together also (stengths/weaknesses/opportunities/threats analysis etc.) for the same purpose.

Then, find people who might want to buy your site. As you say it's only running at 40% its full potential, I imagine its the case that its going to take an internet marketing professional to run it. Post on webmaster forums that have buy/sell areas would be a good start (I imagine there are other ways of advertising sites of sale too but the only others I can think of will incur large costs, Sedo for example).
  5. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I have no idea what it's worth but I've heard of folks selling sites on ebay for $5,000 to $15,000.

G-Man
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi,

I've no idea what it's like but have you seen this website?

http://www.businessesforsale.com/

I've looked at it in the past but I've never been involved in buying or selling a business with them
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

IMO the value of a website should be determined based upon the appeal of the domain name and the quality of backlinks that will remain after the deal is done.

If you disagree then answer this... what competetive advantage would you have over the next person who is inclined to run the business and slaps up a quick site based upon your model - assuming that they have a domain that is out of the sandbox.

You state that your site is only at a fraction of its potential and that means that a lot of work needs to be done so why not just start from scratch on any domain?

In an environment of increasing competition, uncertainty, search engine filters, I would not put out 3x the annual profit of a site. And it also depends upon how your profit is calculated.... is it profit minus the labor of the site owner or before?
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  11. Disregard Logic, Be Happy
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by jarboy
    http://www.businessesforsale.com/

I've looked at it in the past but I've never been involved in buying or selling a business with them
    not sure how reliable these listings are, or factual. one jewelry website has a selling price of $600,000 but shows turnover of $20mil and annual profit of $4mil. that's quite alot of OP to be dumping, don't you think?

anyway, how do you calculate that a site is only at 40% of its full potential? has 100% ever been attained and if so, how can it be certain that it was indeed the limit? norfstar has some good advice, but in reality your site is worth what you make it worth. depending on your selling and/or bargaining skills you can make a profit (or loss) from selling your site that has no bearing on the "actual" worth. if you can project to a potential buyer that it is positioned to grow and has many areas for improvement AND that happens to be what they are looking for (if they're in the market to purchase, they might not want a fixer-upper...) you might stand to make much more than the 3x estimate.

your most imposing limit is yourself. sharpen your marketing skills (and imagination), find a targeted audience, and go for it.
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  13. Unclassified
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by mark-connect
    This is for a UK based website and business:

Now im in full time employment I am thinking of either selling my own website as a whole business
    Can you post or if not PM me the details. I have a client in this line of business, (probably the UK's biggest online) who I can forward it onto if it's appealing enough.