#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    28

    Are there any Pros to services like Disqus?


    I've seen many "commenting" services now that you have to use to comment on blogs, like Discuss and I was wondering if anyone has noticed any benefits from such services.
    And I'm not necessarily talking about SEO benefits, I just want to hear anything that has been a plus for you.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jun 25th, 2015 at 10:52 PM. Reason: fixed title
  2. #2
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    17,292
    Rep Power
    0
    Don't you mean Disqus?
  4. #3
  5. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    1446
    If you mean "Disqus..."

    Benefits: Give your readers the ability to post with their preferred social login (without the need to complete the form). Notify your readers of new comments. Give your readers the ability to vote up / down, threaded comments etc. The ability to see all your comments in one place (Disqus dashboard)...

    Drawbacks: The content is hosted on Disqus, not your site. If Disqus is down or slow, that reflects on your user experience. Disqus will distract your readers with their own notifications and drag them to their site (not yours)...

    Comments on this post

    • fathom agrees : great points!
    Everything will be ok in the end

    If it's not ok, it's not the end
  6. #4
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    17,292
    Rep Power
    0
    Matt Cutts points out in his SEO & Wordpress video the cookies for comments works great.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    28
    Yes, Disqus. I'm sorry. But I'm referring to services like that, not just Disqus.
    Ann, you mention the benefit of notifying "your readers" of things.
    What if you really don't have any readers or followers?
    I can see what your saying about followers wanting to hear what you are saying. I see things that people like you and other experts in SEO have to say and I'm interested.
    But my site, the site I want to promote, is a fansite for an NFL team. I can't use my Facebook or Google Plus pages to comment (the business ones I mean) and I can't see many NFL fans interested in what I ( ie - my Disqus profile) interested in what I have to say. And if they do check my profile, if my site isn't highlighted, what's the point?

    Am I looking at this right?
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    28
    Fathom, I will look at that video first chance I get.
  12. #7
  13. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    1446
    I am sorry I am completely missing what you are asking here.... Could you please formulate the exact question?

    Originally Posted by Philbeaux
    Yes, Disqus. I'm sorry. But I'm referring to services like that, not just Disqus.
    Ann, you mention the benefit of notifying "your readers" of things.
    What if you really don't have any readers or followers?
    I can see what your saying about followers wanting to hear what you are saying. I see things that people like you and other experts in SEO have to say and I'm interested.
    But my site, the site I want to promote, is a fansite for an NFL team. I can't use my Facebook or Google Plus pages to comment (the business ones I mean) and I can't see many NFL fans interested in what I ( ie - my Disqus profile) interested in what I have to say. And if they do check my profile, if my site isn't highlighted, what's the point?

    Am I looking at this right?
  14. #8
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    17,292
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Philbeaux
    Fathom, I will look at that video first chance I get.
    I never linked to the video I linked to the plugin. "Cookies for Comments".
  16. #9
  17. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,115
    Rep Power
    1908
    I think this is the video, Philbeaux, if you're interested in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P-m2cBCJSk

    It's also got that great Katamari Damacy analogy.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    28
    Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    I am sorry I am completely missing what you are asking here.... Could you please formulate the exact question?
    Sorry. Had a very long day when I responded.

    I'll try again.

    What good can a service (like Disqus) be to someone like me who doesn't have any followers?



    Originally Posted by fathom
    I never linked to the video I linked to the plugin. "Cookies for Comments".
    OK, then I'll check out the plugin first chance i get.
    Again sorry, the way I was reading your post was that Matt Cutts had a video about Cookies for Comments.

    And thank You Mark..... I will check out THAT video first chance I get.
  20. #11
  21. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    1446
    What good can a service (like Disqus) be to someone like me who doesn't have any followers?
    You are unlikely to see any difference with or without Disqus... It isn't driving new comments on its own (At least I never saw any) or gives you any other type of extra exposure... All it does is powering comments (allows people to comment when they want to...)

Similar Threads

  1. PPC.....Pros...Help!
    By acw in forum Other PPC
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 8th, 2008, 11:44 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 20th, 2006, 06:02 AM
  3. Come on you pros.. get in here.
    By Postmaster in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Apr 26th, 2005, 04:21 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo