1. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Targeted Advertising From Facebook

I was on twitter and someone tweeted a picture of a sign, the sign was a comical one saying "Joy Division, love will tear us apart divorce lawyers"

Then a minute later on facebook I get a targeted advert for joy division... my facebook and twitter aren't linked, how does facebook know what I'm doing on other sites that specifically?

Yesterday I looked up a damien rice song on a guitar chords website and got a targeted ad on facebook for damien rice..

I didn't know facebook could track you so heavily offsite + so specifically target you with ad's..

It really shows how much everything you do online is watched.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    With all that they (various online sites) are doing it is bordering on invasion of privacy. I am going to start closing my blinds, locking my doors, and keeping the pets inside.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    I was on twitter and someone tweeted a picture of a sign, the sign was a comical one saying "Joy Division, love will tear us apart divorce lawyers"

Then a minute later on facebook I get a targeted advert for joy division... my facebook and twitter aren't linked, how does facebook know what I'm doing on other sites that specifically?

Yesterday I looked up a damien rice song on a guitar chords website and got a targeted ad on facebook for damien rice..

I didn't know facebook could track you so heavily offsite + so specifically target you with ad's..

It really shows how much everything you do online is watched.
    These are the questions I would be asking:

1. Was you signed in to FB at the time of using those other sites?
    2. Do FB have an sort of partnership with them to help offer better ads on there network?
    3. Does FB have ads on the sites in question?
    4. Have you asked FB these questions and asked them why no one has been warned of these new "invasion of privacy" tactics to give better ads on FB?

I'm not sure if FB has updated its privacy rules etc, but if they are indeed getting such data on everything we do, why was we not warned of this and given the option to opt out?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank