First and foremost, I would like to say that I am by no means a tech savvy internet marketer. Now that I've got that out of the way. I have an inquiry that’s part SEO and part marketing.
Background: I am in the process of creating a main site that’s solely intended for consumers. On the back end, I intend on creating a 2nd site (“mini site” or “landing page”) intended on soliciting the product providers that will service these potential consumers.
Two Important Points:
- The main site will depend on organic search engine traffic. The 2nd site will NOT require organic search engine traffic. In fact, I would prefer if the potential consumers remain largely unaware of the content within the 2nd site.
- And I do not intend on ever linking the sites together. I may however link the 2nd site to the “about us” and other “housekeeping” pages on the main site.
From an SEO Standpoint;
- Would you create the 2nd site as a “sub domain” of the 1st site? (i.e. subdomain.mainsite.com).
- Or would you simply keep it on the main site and not use a sub domain?
- Whether a sub domain is used or not, would using the norobots tag or some form (or several forms together) of a no-index tag ensure that the pages intended for the businesses never be seen by potential consumers performing keyword searches?
- Would the presumable lack of links between the “root domain” and “sub domain” negatively affect the main site?
And From a Marketing Standpoint:
- How important would you say it is to use a “look and feel” that resembles or is identical to the main site when designing the “sub domain”?
- Should it be identical if possible?
- Or… Would you say it probably doesn't matter because the 2nd site is not intended for the overwhelming majority of site visitors?