1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO RIPOFF Firm?

We have hired up a small one-man SEO firm who proceeded to make many promises, take our money then deliver nothing.

Promises to deliver, nothing.
    Promises that product was emailed, nothing.
    4 months later, nothing.

How is the best way to educate the public to watch out for this person?

BTW, this person is a very common poster on this forum.

Thanks
    Tony
  3. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Thats a diffcult one...

Is the site the one in your profile......
    if it is you have already name and shammed the company/person as that site links the a seo site... ummm....

can you post the url... Sandbox is the problem today... clients of mine and website the are mine just dont perform for a long long time on google... does you site show up well on MSN and msn beta and Yahoo....

?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Not on our site.

No... They are not listed on our site.

Our issue is the firm had promised to deliver content and design. It never happened.

Tony

Originally Posted by gabs
    Thats a diffcult one...

Is the site the one in your profile......
    if it is you have already name and shammed the company/person as that site links the a seo site... ummm....

can you post the url... Sandbox is the problem today... clients of mine and website the are mine just dont perform for a long long time on google... does you site show up well on MSN and msn beta and Yahoo....

?
  7. ;-)

This is not an issue for public forums...

But you need to have some writen contact that was signed with your proof including all your correspondence then talk to some who knows the law... tell this firm in question that your going to do this... this will normally sort thing out... if not continue with seeking legal advise...

In the uk we have a thing called the CAB which you can get free advice regarding such matter b4 paying a money for other advise...

Thats just my opinion...
    This is a public forum... and all SEO issues have 2 sides to the story....

Please note I am not on your side or the other person in question... i'm sure the mod's will sort this post out... as name and shaming isn't always the best solution...

hope this helps...

IMHO!!!!
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi, Tony, yes it is best that you keep this between you two, although I do understand your need to warn people. Still, rarely do these kinds of warning threads show both sides of the story, so they end up not being fair. Has the person gotten in touch with you? If not, maybe if PM'ing the person will get a better response. If nothing happens, gabs had good advice. With contract and proof of payment in hand, I'd see a lawyer, then get back with the SEO. Good chance things get cleared up that way.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up

yes it is best that you keep this between you two
    I agree. I have read many things about bad SEO companies, and dont remember many, if any, of their names. You should try to resolve this issue on a personal/legal level first. But it is nice to know that people are actively trying to stop such things from happening to others.
  13. Canine
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Even with a contract and good skills and intentions, miscommunications and misunderstandings can still occur. Consultants can be in a tough spot to either do what the client thinks they promised (when in fact the consultant did not) or refuse and lose a client and possibly get into a lawsuit.

The best course I know is to be brutally detailed in your statement of work up front. If the client asks for the moon, do not be afraid to tell the client that you have no idea how much it will cost or how long it will take to get there. And be sure to get paid by the hour and don't let the invoices get behind!
  15. Contributing User

Tony,

Sometimes the jobs can take up to 4 months to complete. Depends on how complex, and often times it relates to the demands you place on the project. I am guessing you got more than SEO on this, and many other factors were involved.

In general you should never try to take disagreements to the forums, they are not a place to air out the trash so to say and try to resolve the issue. They only hurt the matter for both involved. You should most likely obtain a third party in order to deal with the particular disagreement.

Also, was a particular date set in which the project would be delivered? What were your expectations of the project. It might have been just a simple human error in this case with the firm that you hired. Its hard to know, nor make any conclusions.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Tony -

You have gotten some good advise here and I would echo the fact that the best course of action if you believe you have been wronged is to go to a lawyer (or small claims court if it is a smaller amount).

This forum is for sharing ideas and techniques on SEO and if it is your original intention to educate those on this forum, why not take what you learned from your experience and write a article on what questions someone should ask if hiring an SEO for the first time. I'm sure that would be well recieved as it may help others to avoid a difference in opinion with an SEO they hire.

As far as this thread is concerned, it has been closed as without both sides it isn't a benefit to the members.

I hope you are able to get a resolution to your issue (The FAQ here is free!).