Thread: SEO Quiz

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SEO Quiz

Hi all!

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, mods, please move to an appropriate forum if I messed up something.

I have made an SEO Quiz here:
    http://www.cleverstat.com/en/seo-quiz.php
    25 questions and awards given to you according to your SEO knowledge.

Before making it go viral, I would like to perform some testing first. Please feel free to post your comments and/or suggestions. And your rank, of course

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : some of your answers are wrong
  3. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Neat quiz! I didn't do so well. I'm classified as an SEO virgin. But then maybe that's appropriate! LOL!

A few thoughts...

It would be great to have a total at the end (i.e. You got x out of 25 questions correct.).

I noticed two typos - one was on the front page (choose the answer you "fill" is correct". The other was on question 4 = (if it "founds" a link).

I'd be interested in seeing some of the pros comment on the content of the quiz...lots of questions could have multiple answers, so it would be hard to score high!

I have a question...Once you have perfected the quiz, what do you do to "make it go viral?"
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  5. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.

It would be great to have a total at the end (i.e. You got x out of 25 questions correct.).
    Below your medal there's a link to the complete list of questions with your answers marked right or wrong.

I noticed two typos - one was on the front page (choose the answer you "fill" is correct". The other was on question 4 = (if it "founds" a link).
    Thanks!
  7. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.

I have a question...Once you have perfected the quiz, what do you do to "make it go viral?"
    1. Socials
    2. Newsletter (over 30k+ subscribers)
    3. May be some Adwords just to give it the first blow.

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees : Thanks for sharing...it should do well!
  9. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.

lots of questions could have multiple answers, so it would be hard to score high!
    Actually, many questions of the quiz DO have several correct answers. That's why you see checkboxes there instead of radio buttons. It seems, I should state this more explicitly.
  11. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I have open the website I have found first 5 questions irritating me, like about keywords density, meta keywords, placement of keywords that is horrible questions for me.

Comments on this post

• devil's_brother agrees : You're Pro, man :)
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  13. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I was classfied as an SEO Virgin as well - you know nothing about SEO!! Darn

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees : Yay! I'm in good company! Let's start a club!

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  15. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.

2All:
    1) You can select multiple answers!
    2) You can see your results below the medal.
  17. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I am very sure pro_seo will be delete this thread.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Good quick. I was hoping for a better result.
  21. from the horses mouth

Hi,

I've spent some time for you, and here is what I hope you will take as constructive criticism.

First impressions are it looks nice, but you are not close enough to send this live yet.

- It took me three times round to realise that it was multiple choice.
    - When you have a multiple choice you should tell people how many answers you expect them to choose, as the number of "correct" answers varies from question to question.

Comments on some individual questions:
    ==============================

Question 2 - is misleading as although its of no use in ranking there is a syntacticaly correct way of using it.

Question 4 - I disagree that "It does nothing as long as this link is a legitimate paid link" is a correct answer, a paid link that's legitimate is still against TOS and could lead to a penalisation.

Question 5 - Is a contentious question, as there is some testing that suggests that not all parts of a page are equal as you suggest.

Question 6 - answers 4 and 5 are the same, but you say that 4 is incorrect and 5 is correct.

Question 7 - answer 1 is incorrect, show me any proof that the theme two websites dictates the level of PR passed between them.

Question 9 - Google does read CSS otherwise it wouldn't be able to detect hidden text (background and text colour being the same). That said, I've never heard anyone claim that making a H1 styled as normal text will cause a penalty other than your answer.

Question 11 - a bad site linking to you will hurt you? Be careful with that claim, in 99% of cases i would say it wouldn't cause you any issues at all.. Your answer is not satisfactory.

Question 12 - Answer 1 and 7 are almost directly opposite to each other. The only correct answer is 1, and Matt Cutts is on video explaining that 95% of sites are not W3C compliant, so its almost impossible to use as a ranking signal.

Question 13 - there is no method to sort the answers.. and even if there was the question so open ended that theres no real "correct" answer.. sorry but a terrible question.

Question 15 - is another pretty bad question, too open ended.

Question 16 - Write good content is a reasonable answer if its something you do "before" putting it online, not "after".

Question 18 - Answer 5 is not very well worded, you should just have answer 4 as the correct answer.

Question 19 - Answers 2 and 3 contradict slightly, you need to choose either high PR or high relevance as the correct answer, or have an additional answer that is both.

Question 23 - the only correct answer is that there are no guarantees.

Question 24 - bad selection of answers, I see what you are trying to say (and yes some variation is a good idea), but the question and answers are badly presented.

Question 25 - same as question 24, its just badly worded with a bad selection of answers.

-Overall your questions need a lot of work as you choose too many where your answers are open to debate.

- You should give links to sites that back up any answers (which in itself will potentially get links back to you from those sites if you contact them).

- You need to make it easier for people to find the answer page at the end, i didn't spot it till you posted here that it was actually there.

- Love them or hate them, but SEOMoz have the best example of an SEO quiz and how to implement such a quiz.. take a look at http://www.seomoz.org/seo-expert-quiz

I hope this helps.
    c5
  23. Yeah, baby! I'm BAD.

channel5, thank you for your time. That was enlightening. I have some comments, though.
    Question 4 - I disagree that "It does nothing as long as this link is a legitimate paid link" is a correct answer, a paid link that's legitimate is still against TOS and could lead to a penalisation.
    Nofollowed paid link cannot be the reason for a penalty. Neither it's against TOS. Or is it?
    Question 5 - Is a contentious question, as there is some testing that suggests that not all parts of a page are equal as you suggest.
    I strongly beleive (and this is supported by my experience) that it doesn't really matter where keywords are. They may be at the top (in the HTML source, not as they are displayed), or at the bottom of a page - the difference is minor as long as the text is well... good. You know. May be this question is bad-worded too. There was a number of old-style suggestions: put your nav-bar to the bottom and stuff like this. In fact, this is not THAT important. IMHO.
    Question 6 - answers 4 and 5 are the same, but you say that 4 is incorrect and 5 is correct.
    No, they are not. Re-read carefully:
    "4. If page A has two links - one to page B and the other to Page C both B and C get the same amount of link juice"
    "5. If page A has two links - one to page B and the other to Page C it sends the same amount of link juice to both B and C"

Though, I agree, this may be too tricky to see the difference.
    Question 7 - answer 1 is incorrect, show me any proof that the theme two websites dictates the level of PR passed between them.
    The question doesn't ask how many PR is passed. It asks which is better. A related PR4 link may be better than an unrelated PR5. Do you disagree? The theme does matter.
    Question 9 - Google does read CSS otherwise it wouldn't be able to detect hidden text (background and text colour being the same). That said, I've never heard anyone claim that making a H1 styled as normal text will cause a penalty other than your answer.
    Ok. Consider you've just heard that from me That's my 6-years-old own experience. As for CSS reading by Google - you are right here. I'll re-word this.
    Question 12 - Answer 1 and 7 are almost directly opposite to each other. The only correct answer is 1, and Matt Cutts is on video explaining that 95% of sites are not W3C compliant, so its almost impossible to use as a ranking signal.
    Actually, they are not. The answer 7 is also correct, because W3C does matter, but not for search engines and therefore not for SEO. But it is still important nevertheless.
    Question 19 - Answers 2 and 3 contradict slightly, you need to choose either high PR or high relevance as the correct answer, or have an additional answer that is both.
    Well... That's why you can simply select both.
    Question 23 - the only correct answer is that there are no guarantees.
    I never agree with you here. Astrologers can't give any guarantee. SEOs - can. Very cautious, extremely specific, but still guarantees. Otherwise all of them would be charlatans just like astrologers are. I beleive many pros here can guarantee certain positions within the budget provided to them. There're no absolute guarantees - that's right.
    I hope this helps.
    It helped a lot. Really. I appreciate your response, thank you very much.
  25. from the horses mouth

Originally Posted by devil's_brother
    Nofollowed paid link cannot be the reason for a penalty. Neither it's against TOS. Or is it?
    You need to say you mean a nofollowed link, the word legitimate didn't say to me that you menat nofollowed.

I strongly beleive (and this is supported by my experience) that it doesn't really matter where keywords are.
    You may or may not be right, but for a quiz that you want to go viral you don't want contentious points.

No, they are not. Re-read carefully:
    .....Though, I agree, this may be too tricky to see the difference.
    You need your questions and answers to be 100% clear.

The question doesn't ask how many PR is passed. It asks which is better. A related PR4 link may be better than an unrelated PR5. Do you disagree? The theme does matter.
    Better for what? I'd take a PR5 link from an unrelated site rather than a PR1 from a related site. In all the testing I've ever done as long as the page is related then you'll pass anchor text and PR. Website relevance is very very very over rated with no real evidence to show how people have proved it to be better.

Ok. Consider you've just heard that from me That's my 6-years-old own experience.
    Again if you are wanting to be viral then this is going to cause you issues.

Actually, they are not. The answer 7 is also correct, because W3C does matter, but not for search engines and therefore not for SEO.
    If it doesn't matter for SEO then why is answer 7 correct in an SEO quiz?!

I never agree with you here. Astrologers can't give any guarantee. SEOs - can. Very cautious, extremely specific, but still guarantees. Otherwise all of them would be charlatans just like astrologers are. I beleive many pros here can guarantee certain positions within the budget provided to them. There're no absolute guarantees - that's right.
    Google or any other search engine can change their algo tomorrow, thats why no one can offer a placement guarantee as they can't second guess the engines. The only guarantee they can offer is your money back if they don't hit a target you agree.

It helped a lot. Really. I appreciate your response, thank you very much.
    You're welcome, and good luck with it, I'd still strongly suggest you work more on fact based questions rather than opinion based ones as you'll just end up getting people disagreeing with you and the viral part will fizzle.

Also with your badges, people are only going to use them (and hence give you your backlink) if they are proud of what they get, so you want to:

1): Make the lowest badge still sound good (who wants a Virgin badge?)

2): Make the quiz easy enough so that more people get the higher badges and so are more likely to use them.

This goes back to the type of question and answers you have used being too vague for most people to ever have a chance of doing well.

Comments on this post

• JBacchi agrees
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hey guys, I passed the test, like most (Virgin)...
    But I am not angry ...

I think this kind of quiz should contain the relevant issues from the base seo, referring to on page and off page optimization ...
    If you offer more features as the correct answer, you need to evaluate them especially ...

I think that model one question one answer given much better results ...

In the end, it would be good to see where mistakes were made in order to learn something from this quiz ...

Greeting...
  29. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Too many questions with multiple correct answers and I would also update it to be correct as of 2010.

17. You have an old HTML version of your site. Now your boss insists you must turn it to a PHP version. What should you do to prevent possible rank loss?
    Why? You would want to preserve any pre-existing URL you could as redirects bleed PR, not passing the full value.

5. What part of the page content gives the most weight to keywords in it?
    Meh, not so sure about this one's "all are equal" option. Footer links suck. Contextual links at the top of the page are most valuable.

#2 is kind of trick question too

Was fun though!

Comments on this post

• devil's_brother agrees : Thanks callen
    • KernelPanic agrees : good perspective
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: