1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

SEO certification is it worth it?

Hi all,

I'm new to SEO and have been reading a few books here and there and watched a number of begginner SEO videos on Youtube. I started developing an interest in this subject because my husband runs a local pet sitting business and he needed someone to perform digital marketing for his company. As I learn more and more about SEO, I realize how important it is to businesses in today's world and I would like to turn this into my profession. I have been searching through some courses online with price range from $20USD to $500USD+. As a beginner, I would like to get some recommendation on which course teaches SEO more in depth and which one is worth my money. Thank you for your time.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I'm a bit short of time but wanted to post before I went to work.

There's no such thing as an SEO certification, it's usually a load of rubbish.

The best way to learn SEO is to setup your own site and go play, test things out and ask questions on forums like this.

Read articles like: https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

Look at sites that are ranking locally and try and break them down to why. Take a look at ecommerce sites and compare the product pages to see what the diference are to rank better.

I'll actually be doing a blog post in the next couple of weeks on "how to learn seo" because it's something that I think is still confusing to a lot of people, will see if I can get it done sooner.

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees
    • Test-ok agrees
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your answer. Do you have any SEO books you would recommend reading?
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Seo is in constant change, so the information you read can or will be out dated.
    Best of the web content will always be king along with a good site structure with good internal links
    which are the basics
    Last edited by Test-ok; May 5th, 2018 at 12:50 AM.
  9. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I hold every Google Certification. Each year when I retake the exams I feel as if I learn something new. Although you want to do SEO it sure wouldn't hurt for you to learn about paid search. Look into Google Adwords Certification

Comments on this post

• seangugerty agrees
  11. Always Wrong

I suppose that depends upon what you are you trying to get out the courses. I think as far as obtaining clients delivering results to your first few customers and going above and beyond for them will be worth it's weight in gold in comparison to a certification. Reviews are a big deal! I think the only way I personally would prioritize a Certification is if I had an employer insist upon it or it was a prereq.

The Google ones that Kernel's talking about are free and Google encourages them, so you should definitely snag a few of those, Adwords, Analytics etc.
  13. No Profile Picture

Most of the time these courses are basic stuff, that is easily available on internet. But not everything that comes free has value. You can read course content, the profile of teacher, his experience, his website(is he can actually do what he teaches) and decide which course you want to take. Quality courses definitely worth something.
  15. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Best way to learn first book a domain, read learn and implement and see what happened.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  17. No Profile Picture

I don't think you need one. As long as you do your job right and have good results to show for yourself, that's all that matters.
  19. No Profile Picture

Sometimes reading the tutorials and having someone teach it for us provide very different results. After all, there are so many tricks to learn, and each of them can be applied differently. I am not ready to invest so much in SEO for my projects, but it may be appropriate for serious businessmen. Still, I'd love to hear if anyone finds a decent online course.
  21. No Profile Picture

Some SEO experts use in too build trust and gain more clients, so I think it does worth it.
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

SEO is practical what you learn implement it. Hangout in SEO discussions and forums and try to learn as much as possible. As long as the certification is concerned specifically if you are looking for jobs then there is no harm if you can get one as some organisations prefer certified persons but the important thing is not certification but it is more important what you learn while preparing for the certification exam.
  25. No Profile Picture

It is not important to get a certification in SEO to start your business. If you are willing to start your career in this, you can go to different sites or go to different blogs where you can learn more. It is not the only option left to get a certification. Knowledge matters more and you can get knowledge from everywhere, what you need is just go to different blogs about SEO and clear your doubts by questioning your doubts and even there are soo many videos on the internet about this topic. Just save money and utilize your time. Believe me, if you have that fire in yourself to learn then no one can stop you and you will become expert in it. Thank you for your question. It is a pleasure to know your doubt and answer it.