1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Rogue designer won't give up site or provide logins

I have a client for whom I built a site. He later had someone else do a second site for him (for another city), but the business info ( address, phone, etc) are the same on both sites. Now client wants me to do SEO for the location built by the rogue designer, but the guy who built the site won't give up the login credentials. I don't really care if he just kills the site, but he won't answer phone calls etc.

What action can I take on this problem?
  3. No Profile Picture

By the way, rogue designer also owns the domain.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Bad move on your clients part.
    Tell your client to either get the domain in his name or start a new site with a new domain. Your client wasted his time and money
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If the domain points to a website with your company info. You can file a domain dispute with Godaddy or whoever the company is that the domain was registered with. If you have an invoice that you paid the rouge designer, that will help as well with the dispute. You should be able to do this with the hosting company. I would just be sure that the client has paid for the designers services, otherwise you could be getting in the middle of something very messy.
  9. No Profile Picture

Actually, this problem was resolved. The client shamed the designer into giving up the info.

Thanks to all who replied.
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

How were you able to get the logins? Could you share for others with a similar problem?
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by joshz
    How were you able to get the logins? Could you share for others with a similar problem?
    Well essentially the client appealed to the designer's sense of honor, something to the effect of "When I took you on I thought you were a man of your word. Don't prove me wrong." I suspect the designer was not malevolent, but just but him on the back burner since he was now an ex-client.
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Interesting, thank you for the follow up! Glad everything worked out for you guys.