1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Resent Search Drop in WMT

Recently since 28thDec, my website has rapidly dropped in searches according to both WebMaster Tools and Google Analytics.

Queried this in another post. however just wondered if someone would want to take a look at a page on my website and offer pointers if I am doing something known as being bad. I read an article on the penguin update to do with anchor text with links. I have many links on this page linking to other products all with alt tags which have the title of the page.
    Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens 541.99
    Its basically a website solely selling products via affiliates. I mainly created it as a hobby to see about getting it ranking high, and if it makes a bit of money then that's a bonus.

On this page under the product info, are a few off site links to a video review of this product on YouTube, the TV advert for the product, and the specification from the manufacturer. Below that is many other products that are very much the same, different bundles and suppliers.

I could do with some fresh eyes taking a look, and let me know their thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You need original content. I understand that's not easy (with lots of tech specs) but it's really a must

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture

That makes sense. Almost all of the content for products is provided in a datafeed from affiliate networks. I then create descriptions and keywords from that data. All categories are manually created. So there is a good chance the product info on my website is going to be the same on someone else site that has joined the same affiliate network.
    Looks like I have some work ahead of me.

Thanks for your response.
  7. No Profile Picture

Some of the links for the products you have on your website are no longer active probably that has something to do with your problem ( and I didn't check many products so I assume lots of your products have expired already and you haven't removed them from your website )
  9. No Profile Picture

I've removed about 30% of the products now. Set a filter on date since updated. This keeps the URLs, in case someone finds the product via a search, but there is no links on that page. They get removed from the sitemap too, so eventually I guess the outdated ones will disappear from the Google index.
    Many of the products have externals links that a redirected. I dont know if redirected external links are a bad thing, but I guess that's how affiliate networks work, you have to visit their site to register the click before you get taken to the site where the product is sold.