1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Receiving threats from #1

Hey guys & gals. Part of my link building campaign for Google has been to analyze my competitors, and get links from some of the same authority sites as they have.

I recently got backlinks from a PR4 & PR5 that the site ranking #1 for my keyword also has. Well, that kind of pissed them off. So now the guy has been using the contact form on my site to send me threats. Check out the one below:

I reported your website to google and spoke with a buddy of mine that works as a marketing manager in there California headquarters. They have opened up an investigation and I was told in roughly 3-5 weeks your website will be permanently removed from google for using black hat seo and copying another websites backlinks, have a nice day!
    We work very hard for our links and do not appreciate what you are going, you have 48 hours to have them removed and stop this practice or we will file the report and not rest until you are permanently removed from google! We have had many websites banned from google for performing such black hat seo practices and will only offer you one warning.
    That is just 2 of 3 he has sent me. Since when has getting similar backlinks been considered black hat?

Meanwhile the majority of links this #1 has are paid links. So, the threats are pretty ironic. I don't plan on repsonding, but I'd like to see what you guys thought about it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by maverick80; Jul 28th, 2009 at 08:29 AM.
  3. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

they cant do anything if they do then you could just go to google yourself with all the evidence (the threatening emails) and they will investigate him and his "friend" in California... I like the way he cant even spell "their". I think he is just trying to scare you. Better yet get him to admit link buying and then report him to google.

You could even say you have sent these to google and they can decide.

Getting someone else's back links is fine. Ignore him and continue getting them but make sure they are in an ethical way and no money changes hands.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

reply, saying you have sent his emails onto Google. Like seomonkeymanocp said, there is bugger all he can do.

This is such a school boy error on his behalf, he has made it blatently obvious that he is annoyed with you beating him.

Watch out for spammy links pointing at your site next....
  7. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The guys an arse what is his domain ? Im trying to think of appropraite mischief.

The guys has no leg to stand on, random and unsubstantiated threats.

Just send him a nice email thanking you for the many hours of work he has saved you in sourcing links, and promise to put a thanks to him on your website after you replace his at number one spot.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

He clearly did not report it to google, or he would not have said to take it down or else.
  11. No Profile Picture

Looks like they don't appreciate "what you are going" ??
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Thats funny. I too would probably ignore the e-mail. It would make it extra fun for me to continue to link build knowing that every spot i get closer to his #1 is pissing him off.

Just imagine the good feeling of eventually overtaking his #1 ranking you will get!
    Follow me on Twitter for SEO tips @NickLeRoy
  15. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's a dog eat dog world. Keep up the good work.

If you decide to reply, keep your cool and don't fall into any bait. I think alextampa said it, he didnt report anything yet otherwise he would not have told you to remove the links or else.
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I would feel a bit concerned if he could spell. Since he can't then don't worry. This is precisely why there is no competitive advantage online except for brand. If you tried to copy that or the content then he has legal ramifications. What you're doing is canceling out competitive advantages which is fine, perfectly oK. He's just to lazy to expand his own campaign to exceed you!

Furthermore, the only person doing something wrong is him through his threats and defamation attempts. Don't tell Google since they don't care either, get your lawyer involved and see how quickly the emails stop.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees
    • seomonkeymanocp agrees : spot on
    • JVRudnick agrees : spot-on for sure! ignore this bozo and take his #1 place....work HARD to ensure this too! and oh yeah, DO send copies of all of these emails (incl. headers too!) to your lawyer!!!!
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the replies guys! I won't be responding to him. Thanks for the reassurance.
  21. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Let us know when you take over his 1st place rankings...