1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ranking Down......

Hi

I have a promotional merchandise site which is suffering from panda update. Can any one suggest me how to improve keywords in SERP? While itís competitor is gaining ranking in SERP.

Thanks & Regards,
    Allen Cruise
  3. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

First of all, are you sure it is Panda?

If so, then Panda recovery is all about doing the following:

-Find content on your site that is duplicated elsewhere on the web.
    -That content needs to be either rewritten, noindexed, or removed.
    -Find pages that have thin content (i.e. very little text that adds benefit to the user)
    -That content needs to be either beefed up, noindexed or removed.
    -Find and correct spelling and grammar errors

That solves the majority of Panda issues. If you can improve your site well enough then, with the next Panda update you should recover. There tends to be an update roughly once a month.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    That solves the majority of Panda issues. If you can improve your site well enough then, with the next Panda update you should recover. There tends to be an update roughly once a month.
    I wish it was that easy and if you really believe this, you're welcome to check out our site and see where any of these things occur. We've seen some significant Panda hits and recovery can be very slow. A huge number of colleagues report they have never recovered.

Even after recovery, Penguin hits have been either very impacting or not at all. Searches of late have been providing disturbing results. Even some bona fide competitors do not appear while others will appear in multitude. All I can say is that I have been less impressed with Google results now than I have been in quite a while. I hope this will change for the better soon. I can only wonder whether this is a huge overreliance upon social media and those who know how to game the system in this area.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Content related issues are a lot easier to fix than some of the other filters. And once it's fixed you should recover quickly.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

I wish it was that easy
    I never called recovery easy...but it is doable for most Panda hit sites once you know why you've been hit. I have seen several sites recover. The key is being able to recognize why you have been affected by the Panda filter so that you can then fix that.

I've seen sites that were frantically trying to noindex thin pages and rewrite pages when it turned out that there was a development site in the index as well. Once the development site was removed then the proper site recovered with the next Panda refresh. I've also seen sites that spent weeks identifying and noindexing thin content and then made *almost* a full recovery.

Even after recovery, Penguin hits have been either very impacting or not at all.
    So, which is it? Were you affected by Panda or Penguin? Or both? If you've been affected by both then you've got a tough hole to dig out of. At this point we haven't seen much in the way of credible Penguin recovery.

If you want to share your url I can have a quick look. Or if you'd like me to spend some good time and dig in to your problem, click on the link in my signature. You can share your url either in a shortened link (i.e. bitly) or like example dot com.
  11. No Profile Picture

I never called recovery easy...but it is doable for most Panda hit sites once you know why you've been hit. I have seen several sites recover. The key is being able to recognize why you have been affected by the Panda filter so that you can then fix that.
    I think it's highly presumptuous of any SEO expert to make statements such as I'm reading that if you "fix it" then you recover. I agree more with this one I'm quoting, where it is possible to fix some things and see recovery. The problem was that for many experienced webmasters, even fixing them frequently hasn't made any difference. I say this because if this was the case, SEO consultants would be paid after they fix the problem and show results - yet almost always they demand being paid in full before they start and show any results.

From experience, I can tell you that we had a very large directory on one of our sites for 4 years and Google said not a word. Panda came and slammed the site badly. We went to the Google Webmasters forum to discuss to verify and all the experts and bionic webmasters concluded the same thing. The directory was moved to a subdirectory and then even deindexed entirely and it still made virtually no difference in the results - and we are talking about well over 100,000 entries against about another few hundred thousand indexed pages.

So while I can enjoy hearing about "cause and effect" this is all speculation. I'll show you sites that have terrible content and violate numerous "rules" and still rank tops for some significant keyword searches. I'd love to hear explanations and know the answers of what to do. Much of the time we're talking about guesswork and the application of some general best practices that aren't followed such as using good human interface guidelines and having your sites more conducive to spidering efforts.
    Last edited by freeadvice; Oct 23rd, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I've also seen sites that spent weeks identifying and noindexing thin content and then made *almost* a full recovery.
    Did it. Over 100,000 links. There is noindex and nofollow. Nothing budged.

So, which is it? Were you affected by Panda or Penguin? Or both? If you've been affected by both then you've got a tough hole to dig out of. At this point we haven't seen much in the way of credible Penguin recovery.
    Unfortunately hit by both. It was odd. Panda was the worst, by far. First wave not at all, second wave was a shock. The only recovery I made, oddly enough, was removing Google Analytics from the site and the traffic grew over 15% in one month. I decided to replace analytics after about 2 months (used an alternative) and traffic was growing reasoanbly at a small pace, still not fully recovered. Penguin came and the first wave was the most noticeable.

If you want to share your url I can have a quick look. Or if you'd like me to spend some good time and dig in to your problem, click on the link in my signature. You can share your url either in a shortened link (i.e. bitly) or like example dot com.
    Thanks very much for the offer - it is much appreciated. I'll probably first start and send you a PM. You'll probably be surprised by the site. No spam, lots of unique content, professionally done. My only hesitation in sharing publicly, for the moment, is that sometimes there is a tendency of some watching to pile on to show what they think was "obvious." I'm sure it's well intended and maybe I'll get to that point and allow people to poke into reasons. What I can say is that a lot of really nice and very smart, educated people found it challenging and I most appreciated their efforts.

If you can identify ways we can start make meaningful improvements, I'm fully willing to talk about taking that next step as well. I'd much rather be building a great site and have wasted far too much time "optimizing" unfortunately. You can only do so much in a day and burning the midnight oil.
    Last edited by freeadvice; Oct 23rd, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
  15. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

The problem was that for many experienced webmasters, even fixing them frequently hasn't made any difference. I say this because if this was the case, SEO consultants would be paid after they fix the problem and show results - yet almost always they demand being paid in full before they start and show any results.
    The problem here is that many SEO's do not fully understand Panda and Penguin. Heck, I'll admit that I don't fully understand them and I have dedicated a huge chunk of my life over the last few months to understanding these things. If you're paying someone to help you recover from Panda then you need to find someone who knows what they're talking about. If you're working with someone who is willing to get paid on performance then you're probably working with someone who is desperate for business and likely doesn't have the experience you need.

We went to the Google Webmasters forum to discuss to verify and all the experts and bionic webmasters concluded the same thing.
    Making huge changes to your site based on advice received from a forum can be dangerous. The majority of people on any forum are just making their best guess. Plus, they are making judgement calls on your site that are likely based on having a 30 second look at your site.

Unfortunately hit by both.
    If you've got both Panda and Penguin issues then you have a site that has a lot of problems and yes, recovery will be difficult. Many of the sites that I have seen that have been affected by both Penguin and Panda are, in my opinion, beyond recovery unfortunately.

It is possible that now, with the disavow tool you can get a Penguin hit removed. However, if your site was ranking primarily on the power of manipulative links then once you disavow those links you're going to basically have a new site with no links again.

I don't mind having a quick look at your site if you pm me the url. But again, the problem is that a quick look is not likely to dig in and find all of the clues that need to be found. Here's what I propose. If you are willing, you could share your url with me privately. I'll need access to your analytics. (I'll tell you what email address to add in the pm). I will do my $89 diagnosis package for no charge provided I can share the results here, publicly on the forum. I won't share your url but I will share screenshots of the analytics (with any identifying info removed.) I generally put anywhere from 1-3 hours into these reports.

What do you think?

I'm guessing that you have hidden issues that are affecting you that you are not even aware of. I can't guarantee I can find the answer as no one knows everything about Panda and Penguin, but it's worth a try.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : A generous offer....
    • KernelPanic agrees
  17. No Profile Picture

Unhappy Ranking Down.....

Hi all,

thanks Dr. Marie....

I am trying to fix the issues which was responsible for ranking down and almost i have been done but whenever i make my site cache in Google. its keywords going down and down.....so i don't know what exactly i need to do....please suggest

Thanks & Regards,
    Allen Cruise
  19. No Profile Picture

For the betterment of ranking in result pages you need to make changes what these new Google update suggests and promote your sites through new strategy with impliment those thing in it.