1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New boy with stupid question

Hi, i'm Des and new to this forum. i have been learning SEO for about 3 months now, inbetween work etc. I know the concept, how it works etc, now i just have to transfer that knowledge into practice, but i do have two questions that are preventing me from moving on. They are possibly stupid questions or "if you don't know that" kind of questions.
    Anyway, say i get a client who's html needs a bit of editing, do i have to host the site to access the html to edit it please?
    The other question as i have is to do with keywords. I know it is not hugely important that they are included into the html, as they can be in the content of the site etc. Now, to make keywords obvious and visible to google, they should be in bold or italics, but having done this, they showed up on the webpage in bold or italics. Is this normal or can i stop them from showing up in the content in bold or italic when the website is viewed by others?
    I have searched the forums and can't find anything of relevance to these questions.

thankyou.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I think you need to learn a little more before you do work for paid clients.

The HTML has to be "hosted" on a server for it to be visible. You need to have access to that server. This is usually done via FTP but can be done through a web interface and also cloud based - I really like to use codey.co for quick changes. As general practice with an FTP client, you should always download the latest version of a site, and back it up before making any changes.

When you use bold or italic tags to mark up some content you do so with the specific intention of making them more obvious, because they are important. It is entirely possible through CSS to make a particular tag look any way you want - just like regular text or even hidden. But this is very bad practice and can get you penalized or even banned from the search results.

I think you need to learn a little more about web development and SEO before actively trying to do SEO work on sites.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thankyou for your reply. I have no intention of doing SEO for anyone until i am 100% confident that i know what i am doing and setup my own website to practice on. Again thankyou for your help.