1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Needing new web site: Does a Wordpress site hinder SEO?

First off, I am a utter n00b, so please forgive me if I muck up any terms as I try to sound like I know what I am talking about.

In searching for a designer for a new site, I am finding that some clearly focus on Wordpress sites.

So my question is: Is there anything about a WP site that will hinder SEO in any way? I am moving from my current provider because of their very limited content integration with WP and social media due to their user design interface. Obviously, content integration will be a WP's strength, but is there anything else I should know about limitations or weaknesses of WP when considering them as a site platform?

It should be noted that my plan is to have ongoing, professional SEO due to the intensely competitive nature of my industry (auto insurance).

Thanks in advance for any input.
  3. Addicted to SEO

WordPress, in my opinion, is the best script ever... but if you need a really professional website, especially ecommerce one, I would suggest you invest in a dedicated script. What kind of website is it? A company profile, blog or shop?

In WordPress you just need to pay attention to what plugins you use. For example, some time ago I used stats plugin (I can't remember its name) that exploits database usage very much and once few websites stopped working as they used the same database. Additionaly, if you don't update plugins, someone can find a bugs and use them, for example to leave their links etc.
  5. No Profile Picture

It will mostly be a company profile site, incorporating a blog and social media.

There will be a couple of heavy database sections from 3rd party vendors but those will just be links that will open in their own windows, not actually be part of my site.

My main concern is discovering later on that my site is somehow hamstrung for SEO because of limitations in the WP platform, thereby necessatating that I abandon it. Other than that possible eventuality, WP sounds ideal for my purposes, to my untrained eye that is.
  7. Addicted to SEO

Originally Posted by LostInTheWoods
    My main concern is discovering later on that my site is somehow hamstrung for SEO because of limitations in the WP platform (...)
    No need to worry. WordPress is one of the best (and maybe the best) open scripts for SEO. It's secured from duplicate content (rel canonical), indexes fast (pings search engines as soon as you publish a new post), popular plugins lets you prepare the best possible title schemes, it has automatically generated sitemap and there are lots of plugins you can use, also the social ones (with Facebook buttons etc).