1. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Google Unnatural Links Warning Sticky?

I think there will be a lot of threads started about unnatural link warnings, so shouldn't we make a sticky about it?

But I guess to do that we would need a general consensus and a helpful guideline on the matter..

This is just my opinion and current thinking, I could well be wrong.

There are two different types of warnings, one for unnatural links pointing to your site

Dear site owner or webmaster of domain.com/

We've detected that some of your site's pages may be using techniques that are outside Google's Webmaster Guidelines.
    Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links pointing to your site that could be intended to manipulate PageRank.

Examples of unnatural linking could include buying links to pass PageRank or participating in link schemes.

We encourage you to make changes to your site so that it meets our quality guidelines. Once you've made these changes, please submit your site for reconsideration in Google's search results.

If you find unnatural links to your site that you are unable to control or remove, please provide the details in your reconsideration request.

If you have any questions about how to resolve this issue, please see our Webmaster Help Forum for support.
    Sincerely,
    Google Search Quality Team
    I believe you might get this warning if your link profile is unbalanced, such as to many bad sites linking to you, over optimized anchor text or just totally irrelevant sites linking to you.

My thinking for this warning from experience is do not file a reconsideration request if your rankings haven't been affected.

The reason for this is your site will be manually reviewed, will your link profile stand up to human scrutiny? almost certainly you will have links devalued at least.

I received this warning of unnatural links at the end of December for one of my sites, I didn't have any change in rankings, I actually didn't see the warning until two weeks later in January, I (without making any changes and confident my links were fine) filed a reconsideration request, after I did so my rankings dropped, not hugely, but noticeably, I believe some of my links were devalued.

So again my advice would be not to file a reconsideration request, but to stop all link building that could be considered "unnatural" and focus on ways to bulk out your link profile so that it does look more natural.

This is the other unnatural links warning for links on your site

We've detected that some or all of your pages are using techniques that are outside our quality guidelines, which are available here:
    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35769&hl=en

Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links on your site pointing to other sites that could be intended to manipulate PageRank. For more information about our linking guidelines, visit http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66356&hl=en

We encourage you to make changes to your site so that it meets our quality guidelines. Once you've made these changes, please visit https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/reconsideration?hl=en to submit your site for reconsideration in Google's search results"
    This warning I don't know to much about.. I believe it can be given for to many reciprocal links and/or for linking out to bad sites..

For this If my ranks hadn't dropped I would not file for a reconsideration, but I would go through my site and get rid of every single outbound link that might even possibly be causing the problem.

For both warning this is just advice if you haven't had a penalty and your ranks have not dropped if they have then you will need to make yourself as squeeky clean as possible, make all the changes that you can and list them in your reconsideration request.

-------

So yeah that is just my opinion from what I know.. thoughts? btw I'm not saying I think this post should be a sticky, just opening debate and asking for opinions so that we could possibly make one

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees : Great Idea!
    • europa agrees : Excellent contribution.
    • PhilipSEO agrees
    • SEO_AM agrees : Good contribution. If we get a lot of new threads on it, then ticky it!
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Mar 23rd, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Great idea Darren! This is something that will become increasingly important. Check out the post by Eppie Vojt on SEO Moz's blog.

Garbage Sites Ranking due to low quality back links

I am sure on this forum we can come up with a consensus on the best natural link building practices and more importantly, on not falling foul of unnatural linking filters.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : Yep that was a great article.
  5. -

Originally Posted by tstolber
    I actually posted this the other day on here, it was a really great article, I wonder if it wasn't such a high profile keyword they would still be getting away with it..

I must say I'm shocked that there dodgy link building wasn't detected a lot sooner before they got to the front page, let alone allowed to stay there for some time.

I wonder if it took a human to point out the site for it to be dealt with..
  7. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

As I posted here a couple of days ago http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=1050834&postcount=8 my take on this is a bit different. I think Google is testing out its new algo before it goes live. My research suggest most people who have got these warnings have not yet seen rankings drop. They will see rankings drop once the algo goes live if they have not fixed up the issues that generated the notification I suspect.

I think Google is tweaking its new algo before they go live.

Darren the drop on filing a reconsideration request could have been when a manual review was carried out the reviewer tided up as such. But I would not assume that no ranking fall will happen to sites that get this if they still run fowl of Google new kill SEO algo. I do not think this is live yet but will be soon as they are happy with the quality testing.

I also think it is very unsafe to assume if you haven’t got the warning you are safe. If they are testing it is likely to be just testing a sample set and not the whole anyway.

My understanding of what I have read does suggest to me it is largely to do with having a link profile that falls outside what is ‘normal’ for a particular type of site/industry.

My view is we will see some major shakeups coming to SEOed SERPs in the not too distant future….

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : Very interesting
    Live the moment
  9. -

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    As I posted here a couple of days ago http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=1050834&postcount=8 my take on this is a bit different. I think Google is testing out its new algo before it goes live. My research suggest most people who have got these warnings have not yet seen rankings drop. They will see rankings drop once the algo goes live if they have not fixed up the issues that generated the notification I suspect.

I think Google is tweaking its new algo before they go live.

Darren the drop on filing a reconsideration request could have been when a manual review was carried out the reviewer tided up as such. But I would not assume that no ranking fall will happen to sites that get this if they still run fowl of Google new kill SEO algo. I do not think this is live yet but will be soon as they are happy with the quality testing..
    Appreciate the reply and very interesting it was too.

As I was seeing it, it seemed like a bit of a bluff since they aren't giving out any penalties but instead inviting you to be manually reviewed where you may well be penalized..

But if as you say they're testing thier new algo that sheds a whole new light on the situation.
  11. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I am loving it.
    Let the spam war begin.

Till now we assumed that the inbound links are not within our control. Does google expect us to contact 5000 webmasters and ask them to remove the links? How many of the 5000 will respond?

Friends what do you reckon will happen if we do not act?
    Link devaluation? Penalty?
    If you say no penalty (google says there will be penalty next for Over SEO) then why are they giving us a chance to fix it? They can simply devalue it right?
    In case there will be penalty - here is the Future of SEO. BadASS SEO.

5000? OK
    What if we built 50,000 spam links to your website? will you fix them all ? The amount you spend achieving that will screw your revenue. I spend 500$ on negative seo and you spend 5000$ or more fixing them.

How smart Google? How Smart? For the first time in the Human history has someone managed to bite they own ***. They are the Search Quality leaders at Google.

What does the company do to fight me? He spends another 1500$ to spam me and 2-3 other competitors. This way all SEOS kill off each other. the Non SEOed sites will emerge victorious.

BUT BUT BUTT SEOs are a smart race of intelligent spammers. They will stop building links to their own sites and start spamming the NON SEOed sites. Then we rise back into the SERPs again.

The victory will be ours.

So let the Spam War begin.

Comments on this post

• europa agrees : Isanity! Hard to believe they are this stupid. Hopefully it will go the way of "No Follow".
    • SEO_AM agrees : There is no way for us to control or eliminate backlinks if we get bombed. Really stupid idea on Google's part.
    Last edited by NewDelhiSEO; Mar 30th, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hey guys,

I really need your help and advice here.

I have a site which I worked my *** off on for 5 years straight (mostly in development). I did my own completely white hat SEO work with it since the start but I couldn't rank for much b/c my market is a tad competitive. I was recommended to this SEO firm a month ago and I paid them to gain me links to my homepage and several subpages and they wanted various keywords for every page which vary, which I supplied.

2 weeks go by and my ranks starting going up...after 3-4 days boom, gone..all my ranks disappeared and that same day I got "Google Webmaster Tools notice of detected unnatural links to mydomain". I'm utterly pissed right now because I spent years of my life and every penny of savings I had on this site and it's in the trash bin right now.

I asked the guy exactly what he did and he said he got me links to all of my pages, varried keyword, etc. He used "Directory submissions, article submissions, social bookmarking, article bookmarking, web 2.0 pages).

I told him to remove everything he did from the start...but I still haven't heard back from them because they have access to all of the profiles, etc.

I'm a little surprised that those links got me banned, but it did. My site only comes up in google if I type the domain name, nothing else.

Here is where I need some honest advice. Do I get the links removed and send a reconsideration request? Even if Google does reconsider me, wont I be on there radar at all times? As disgusting as this sounds...would it be more beneficial for me to start from scratch on a new domain name all together and forget the past 5 years I put in to this site?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  15. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by ddzc
    Hey guys,

I have a site which I worked my *** off on for 5 years straight (mostly in development). I did my own completely white hat SEO work with it since the start but I couldn't rank for much b/c my market is a tad competitive. I was recommended to this SEO firm a month ago and I paid them to gain me links to my homepage and several subpages and they wanted various keywords for every page which vary, which I supplied.

2 weeks go by and my ranks starting going up...after 3-4 days boom, gone..all my ranks disappeared and that same day I got "Google Webmaster Tools notice of detected unnatural links to mydomain". I'm utterly pissed right now because I spent years of my life and every penny of savings I had on this site and it's in the trash bin right now.

I asked the guy exactly what he did and he said he got me links to all of my pages, varried keyword, etc. He used "Directory submissions, article submissions, social bookmarking, article bookmarking, web 2.0 pages).

I told him to remove everything he did from the start...but I still haven't heard back from them because they have access to all of the profiles, etc.

I'm a little surprised that those links got me banned, but it did. My site only comes up in google if I type the domain name, nothing else.

Here is where I need some honest advice. Do I get the links removed and send a reconsideration request? Even if Google does reconsider me, wont I be on there radar at all times? As disgusting as this sounds...would it be more beneficial for me to start from scratch on a new domain name all together and forget the past 5 years I put in to this site?

Thanks
    I'm not sure what to do in your case dd...your in uncharted waters...I personally would try and clean up the site.
    I don't like and disagree with Link building. If you hire someone to just get you links, like these link building ad's/schemes...I think your going to have a hard time trying to slide them in under the radar. Google warned about buying links and now their enforcing what they said.
    Link building should be natural...meaning other people who like what your site offers creates a link to your site...thats the only link building that works and will work in the future.

It's not just link builders, SEO firms also can hurt a site with poor seo tactics that may bring you up in the SERPs for a short time...just enough time for you to finish out the contract.
    >>steps down off the soap box.
  17. -

How good were your ranks and traffic prior to your ranks dropping?

I must say I'm extremely surprised a site running years could be penalized by only a months activity.. that is very worrying.

You should get the "seo" to send you a list of links they built, and as you said get them to remove them if they can, the ones they can't remove include in the reconsideration request and hopefully google will remove any penalty.

I'm sure if you provide them all the information and do your best to remove as many links as possible they will lift the penalty.

If that fails you could move your site to a new domain and 301 redirect the old domain to the new one, I've heard penalties aren't passed via 301 redirects but I have no experience of it myself to tell you for sure.

Hopefully you wont need to do that.
  19. Roll the dice.. and live

Hey guys,

Thanks
    Hmmm... Get what they did. Package it up and start selling a new Google bowling service. You could become very wealthy

If this is now all it takes to run fowl of Google new kill SEO algo then I expect we will see these type of services start making money from selling 'reverse' seo services..

How many links did he get you?
    How many links did you already have?
    How varied were the Anchor texts?
    Have your rankings fallen across the board or for specific key words only?

You start of by saying you did not rank for much. And then your ranking improved. Then they fell. It may simply be the spam links (and other near spam links) to your site were simply devalued.

I would give it a couple of days before doing anything major just to check if it is a glitch.

But other than that you will have to clean up the spam as much as possible and file a reconsideration request I would guess. This should bring you back to near starting position.

As Darren posted earlier there are claims that a 301 redirect kills a Google penalty but I also do not know if this is true.
  21. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Dear ddzc
    Instead of removing the links.
    I say put a reconsideration request and say someone is trying to jack you. Say you have your website for 5 years without a history of building crap links. Tell them my competitors are probably trying to bring me down.

Otherwise.
    You might have been on the receiving end of other recent updates by Google. It need not be the link building alone.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : there ya go!!