1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is my thinking correct regarding multiple domains???

Hi...I hope I'm posting this in the right place.
    I'm fairly new to webdesign, I got into it by accident when my local football club wanted a website.

Anyway, one of the players at the club has his own business and asked me to look into why his sites are not ranking too well.

I took a look and found he had a main site under one domain and then had 6 other domains all pointing a the same site. As the main domain was in the top 3 on google he expected the other domains to follow.

I have told him this won't happen as it is content duplication....is this correct?

He stills want all the other domains to be google ranked and has asked me to solve this. the only solution I can think of is each domain having its own site (expensive for him)....again is this correct as I'm guessing a 301 re-direct will still only have the main domain appear on google. I have advised him to stick to the one site and promote that but he is insitant on multiple domains as he want to give the impression his business is based in various regions of the country.

As I said I am fairly new to all this so don't want to give him the wrong advise and costing him more money.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If he points are domain names to the single host location of the website they will all appear to own that website and for the most part won't cause any trouble.

But this is like anything else in business... you don't open two brick & mortar locations with a single staff member even if these stores are on different corners of the same crossroads as one store will always be closed or risk being ripped off a lot.

Online you don't have the particular problem but if you get a link for store #1 it won't help store #2, #3, #4, #5, or #6... and if you cross links your own stores you'll just get deeper into ****.