1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

My Franchise Portal Website and duplication

Hi all, I am a new member of SEO Chat and really love this Forum!

I need a little advice, I am a franchise consultant and have been in the industry for years. Two years ago I joined a group that provided my own affiliate website that contains 400+ pages of content relating to every franchise brand that we have agreements with. I can customize much of the website but within these 400+ page directory of companies, all the data is the same for every other franchise portal site. So 90% (or more) of my website content is duplicated on hundreds of other websites and I do not have the ability to change the content.

I am considering creating my on website and slowly, over time adding original content for each company I advertise. This would also give me more control of my site. My concern is not know how much that duplicate content is effect my ability to rank high on google. It's going to be alot of work and before I go down that road I want to make sure I can't just optimize my current website better and have it rank high with all that duplicated content. I have full control of the home pages and any other pages I add.

Any helpful thoughts?

Thanks you!
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your thinking is correct.
    Get your own site and get original content, and the sooner the better. You can't dig out of that hole, sounds like a cookie cutter site with dup content. I would hire a writer or if you have the time start creating new information of the franchises you have, then kick out the new site. Or you could also create a new site and change the information little by little as you said and use no follow links for the dup pages then change them to follow after you revise it. If I'm reading you right. Either way you have a lot of work...Better get started.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Your thinking is correct.
    Get your own site and get original content, and the sooner the better. You can't dig out of that hole, sounds like a cookie cutter site with dup content. I would hire a writer or if you have the time start creating new information of the franchises you have, then kick out the new site. Or you could also create a new site and change the information little by little as you said and use no follow links for the dup pages then change them to follow after you revise it. If I'm reading you right. Either way you have a lot of work...Better get started.
    agree with you test ok
  7. No Profile Picture

thank you.... my fingers are going to get a work out!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

welcome friends