1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

More searches = better Serps, it's a long read sorry

Background info: Iím rebuilding my site with a new domain after several years of neglect. When building my first site I was very excited about the whole process. I am not an SEO or even in a related industry so my own website was like having a shiny new toy to play with. Iíve had some computer classes back when it was DOS but not much. Anyway my website name was www.location-keyword1-keyword2.com. I checked the serps on several SEís several times a day. Well pretty soon my exact keyphrase started showing up on Overture. All of the sudden I start seeing lots of new pages built going after my exact keyphrase from sites like www.linkfarm / location-keyword1-keyword2.com. I didnít care because they are not competition for my business just my keywords. Really kind of funny. I started keeping track of my website on the national market doing searches leaving out the location and using just keyword1 keyword2 to track the effects of my SEO efforts.
    OK now new website. Have not really changed anything other than the site address. Iíve been checking the Serps a lot (again) to see how long it takes the SEís to pick up the new domain and make the change over. Well on the national market Iíve gone from the fortyís a week ago, to the second page yesterday and guess whoís on the first page today. In a national search for keyword1 keyword2 my old site is number 6. All that site has on it are 301 redirectís and itís number 6. It dose not make any sense at all. Hey maybe my website is going viral. lol
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The results in the SERPs for old 301 redirected domains can stay up for around 6 months.

I am assuming that your old domain that ranks #6 in the SERPs does redirect to your new domain correct?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes my 301's do redirect to my new site. What's funny is I run a very small strictly local business. I never targeted or intended on targeting a national market. The SE's are reacting to the bump in search query's that I bumped myself.
  7. SEO Consultant

Not entirely sure I follow you.

The search results you get are targeted to where you are, even if they are not geographically specific keywords.

For example someone in California that searches for cheap widgets won't get the same SERPs as someone who searches for cheap widgets in Florida.

It also depends on whether you are logged into a Google account, have Google Tool bar installed and a few other things too.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes I understand your point. But my site "california cheap widgets" should not have such a drastic change in rank when searching for "cheap widgets" no matter where I'm searching from. My location has not changed. I'm not clicking through to the site. I definately should not be ranking "cheap widgets.gov" or "cheap widgets that have been around from before you were born" or for that matter "widgets.com". My site dose not deserve to be near those sites with 100,000 inbound links and it should be on page four. Which I'm sure is where it will return to after I quit checking on it all the time.
  11. SEO Consultant

I doubt any web site was around before I was born.

If there really is such a significant gap between the quality of your site and the ones it is "out ranking" I assume you must be logged into your Google account.

How much do the results differ when you are logged in and out of a Google account.

Comments on this post

• Savage agrees : It's just an expression. Hey I'm fifty grew up with a black and white TV, still remember using a Commador 64 when it was new.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Now it says I'm 7th. Don't get me wrong I am not advocating this as a way to get ranked. Like I said I'm not an SEO. It's just another interesting quirk in the machine.
  15. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

So have you actually been getting any more traffic?

You know my sister in law has a business selling balloons(It's overly generous to call it a business), she wanted to rank for "location balloons)

I just did around 5 social bookmarks with "location balloons" her site is now #3 in google.co.uk for it.. you know why? because it's not something anyone searches for and their is 0 competition.

Needless to say I charged her a fair amount ;) ahaha no I didn't I just did it as a small(very small) favour, but ranking things for no competition is easy... because there is no competition
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think it's pretty competitive.
    google says "cheap widgets" around 4,670,000 results.
    and "california cheap widgets" around 291,000.
    That sounds like a lot to me.
    And no my traffic has not increase that much. I'm strictly local in a "service industry" that is slightly seasonal.
    Last edited by Savage; Nov 12th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
  19. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Savage
    I think it's pretty competitive.
    google says "cheap widgets" around 4,670,000 results.
    and "california cheap widgets" around 291,000.
    That sounds like a lot to me.
    Look on google keyword tool and click on exact match.
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Nov 12th, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Global exact match is 14,800 monthly
    Local exact match is 9,900 monthly
    $3.29 per click ouch!!
    Now I'm sure this local number is inflated because I'm the one that has been inflating it. I'm sure it's an estimate but my 5 to 10 querys a day haven't inflated it that much. Still that's a lot of cheap widgets.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : Well, that's not so bad.
    Last edited by Savage; Nov 12th, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Look Out Beloooooooow

Well I guest I should have take a screen shot while it was going so good. Top of page 7 for "cheap widgets"

On the brite side Google is now showing my new site address it only took about 2 weeks.
    They have still only indexed about half my pages so it should get better.
    I was told my best links will be updated at the end of the month so that will help.
    "California cheap widgets" is still on the first page although it has dropped 5 spots. At least it made those other guys happy. (for a little while)

Well it's Monday morning back to work. links,links,links ... links,links,links.....