1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Mismatch in dups in Google Webmasters and in reports

I have tried to take care of the duplicate titles and descritptions on my website. When I started at the end of July 12, I roughly had 290 duplicate titles and so much descriptions. Our developer fixed the ones that showed:

/help/PAGE
    /help/page

because they were indicated as dups.
    These were roughly half of the dups at the time, lets say 100 out of 290. All others had the homepage default title. After the change, and nothing else touched, the defaults started to increase, and now a month after the "fix", all upper case URLs scenarios are the same, and the default titles pages are 1500.

The more interesting part is that when I make a report with Screaming Frog, Xenu and a custom script a friend wrote, they all say we still have 290 dup titles, only Google Webmaster tools say they are 1500.

On top of that I think 2 weeks after the changes we were hit by Panda 3.9.1 and our traffic dropped by 20%.

Any thoughts will be much appeaciated.
    Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Re: Duplicate titles and descriptions

Could you maybe post a link to your website?

It could be many different things. I saw something like this happen before when there was a circular reference in a link that was in a dodgy templating system, for example.
  5. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by dtodorova
    I have tried to take care of the duplicate titles and descritptions on my website. When I started at the end of July 12, I roughly had 290 duplicate titles and so much descriptions. Our developer fixed the ones that showed:

/help/PAGE
    /help/page

because they were indicated as dups.
    These were roughly half of the dups at the time, lets say 100 out of 290. All others had the homepage default title. After the change, and nothing else touched, the defaults started to increase, and now a month after the "fix", all upper case URLs scenarios are the same, and the default titles pages are 1500.

The more interesting part is that when I make a report with Screaming Frog, Xenu and a custom script a friend wrote, they all say we still have 290 dup titles, only Google Webmaster tools say they are 1500.

On top of that I think 2 weeks after the changes we were hit by Panda 3.9.1 and our traffic dropped by 20%.

Any thoughts will be much appeaciated.
    Thanks
    Are you talking about your site on tumblr? If so, I have checked no less than 5 pages and they all have the same title and the description is blank, meaning they are duplicate blanks. You should really fix this. Your rankings my even go up as a result.

On a further note, if you just change 1 letter in a url from lower to upper, it is considered a different page. This has to do with long file names, those greater in length than 8.3 format. Before long file names, upper and lower case were treated the same, now they are treated differently.
    Here to Help, Nothing More.....
    Good SEO isn't Cheap and Cheap SEO isn't Good !!