1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Minority Partner Protection (As an internet marketer)

Hi! Quick question for someone who has worked as an internet/marketer for a satrtup... as minority partner in a company, how do you prevent yourself from simply being "fired" or dissolved?

The reason? I dont like to work on commission (as they first proposed) in internet marketing because 90% of the work is done in the first 10% time of the company's services. So either I can charge 10x the rate for my work or I think a partnership is much more realistic to the rewards of the company. But then if they do make me say, a 10% partner with commissions only on net sales above current net sales (to be fair so I only earn what I am bringing in), how do I prevent them from getting rid of me next year when the company is flourishing and they think they dont need me anymore?

Btw, I am not making any capital investment/donation, only services and time, and most of my time will be on internet marketing, and some on general marketing and business advice since I am more experienced in some things than my partner. I am favoring the partnership type of deal over commission because as we all know, internet marketing for a small site is very start heavy, and unless I charge a lot, I like the motivation factor and future payoff more than making a few bucks now. Besides he has very little sales now and very little funds, so he wouldnt be able to pay me my regular hourly/weekly rate for something like this.

Thanks!
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Write in a severance clause.

E.g. - in order to terminate services with you they have to pay you 100% of the net sales above current sales for one year.

If you don't do your job - they fire you and it costs them nothing (no risk to them)

If you do your job - they either keep you on to keep increasing the sales (and thus your commission) or they pay you a decent chunk to terminate services with you.

Disclaimer: This is free advice and I am not qualified in contract law, this is just a suggestion.
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JMasterJ
    Hi! Quick question for someone who has worked as an internet/marketer for a satrtup... as minority partner in a company, how do you prevent yourself from simply being "fired" or dissolved?

The reason? I dont like to work on commission (as they first proposed) in internet marketing because 90% of the work is done in the first 10% time of the company's services. So either I can charge 10x the rate for my work or I think a partnership is much more realistic to the rewards of the company. But then if they do make me say, a 10% partner with commissions only on net sales above current net sales (to be fair so I only earn what I am bringing in), how do I prevent them from getting rid of me next year when the company is flourishing and they think they dont need me anymore?

Btw, I am not making any capital investment/donation, only services and time, and most of my time will be on internet marketing, and some on general marketing and business advice since I am more experienced in some things than my partner. I am favoring the partnership type of deal over commission because as we all know, internet marketing for a small site is very start heavy, and unless I charge a lot, I like the motivation factor and future payoff more than making a few bucks now. Besides he has very little sales now and very little funds, so he wouldnt be able to pay me my regular hourly/weekly rate for something like this.

Thanks!
    No disrespect intended but you're a ripoff as it is.

You cannot gain revenue from legitimate SEO services without someone affording capital investment.

If you are not investing and they are not investing all you have left is webspam producing returns.

Of course, if this is say a dental site and you have a PhD in dentistry you likely have significant informative abilities and could make a go of it... but if you only bring SEO-ability to the table it will not be enough to do what you/they desire.

Thus, if all you have is webspam producing returns at some point that is going to have a negative impact on "the services" and since no one was investing to start with - no one is going to invest in "un-servicing" to end with so they can start reinvesting in SEO services after recovery.

The short of it... you'll be fired because you don't understand what you are doing... IMHO.

Good luck though.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Write in a severance clause.

E.g. - in order to terminate services with you they have to pay you 100% of the net sales above current sales for one year.

If you don't do your job - they fire you and it costs them nothing (no risk to them)

If you do your job - they either keep you on to keep increasing the sales (and thus your commission) or they pay you a decent chunk to terminate services with you.

Disclaimer: This is free advice and I am not qualified in contract law, this is just a suggestion.
    Ok thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    No disrespect intended but you're a ripoff as it is.

You cannot gain revenue from legitimate SEO services without someone affording capital investment.

If you are not investing and they are not investing all you have left is webspam producing returns.

Of course, if this is say a dental site and you have a PhD in dentistry you likely have significant informative abilities and could make a go of it... but if you only bring SEO-ability to the table it will not be enough to do what you/they desire.

Thus, if all you have is webspam producing returns at some point that is going to have a negative impact on "the services" and since no one was investing to start with - no one is going to invest in "un-servicing" to end with so they can start reinvesting in SEO services after recovery.

The short of it... you'll be fired because you don't understand what you are doing... IMHO.
    He is a reseller of a specific service and equipment. He is not required to make any more capital investment. He is not a door to door salesman. But it seems u are saying that everyone should just built a simple web site and pray that people just come and ask for their services with zero marketing and zero SEO, when they are planning on obtaining 90+% of their business leads from the website... and that SEO as part of this business is a ripoff by the person providing it if he asks to be part of the company? What capital investment are you talking about exactly that is so vital to this business model... because I have known many people who have started with less than nothing but their time and hosting fees and are making thousands a week not even selling legitimate products such as what this guy will be selling.

I have talked to about 7-8 other people who have been in business recently, in and out of this industry, just to get a perspective, and you are the only person out of all of them that has responded with this type of negativity of this process. Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but to me it seems you have had some horrible experience with some "webspam" incident and are projecting that to my situation.