1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Learn SEO in 30 days - thoughts

Hey everyone, saw this in my inbox and was interested enough to click, it's a brief guide to how to learn seo in 30 days: How to Teach Yourself SEO in 30 Days

What're everyone's thoughts on this?
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Technically I teach it in 24 hours (total time) or rather a specific style of theory presentation and practical application but I weeded out all the garbage.

While there is certainly useful stuff in Moz, HubSpot Marketing Blog, Search Engine Land, Search Engine Watch, Backlinko, Point Blank SEO Blog, MatthewBarby.com, SEOnick, DejanSEO blog there is also a lot of RUBBISH and a 30-day old DIYSEO will not be able to differentiate the difference.

In the Jackets forum I pointed out one such problem with EXPERT ADVICE from MOZ (Rand Fishkin) http://forums.seochat.com/jackets-on...ng-478685.html e.g. be careful how you determine what is genuine SEO value and what is SEO BULL****!
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    Technically I teach it in 24 hours (total time) or rather a specific style of theory presentation and practical application but I weeded out all the garbage.
    So what kind of structure do you have when you teach it?
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Recorded GoToMeeting Powerpoint Presentattion on the Backpath.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It is very possible to learn at least the moderate arts of seo in 30 days however to master it, that would take considerably more time. However, don't be disheartened by this as a moderate level of SEO can still get you ranking at the top or at least first page. I myself learn't seo within a week a fair time ago and often buy new seo books to keep my knowledge up to date and ahead of competitors. I recommend reading books on seo and the more specific the better. I recently read a book by a company called splendid apple on magento seo. I found that this book was targetted and specific and I actually learn't a couple of new things. Now magento might not be an area you work within but it has some great tips and tricks which can be applied to all areas. (Ill drop the link at the bottom of the post if you're interested) I found that reading about it from lots of different views and then combining all of them together got me where I am today and I would recommend doing the same to any newbie to seo. As previously mentioned here is the link to the magento seo page if you are interested in taking a look. I would recommend it as it helped me a lot: splendidapple.co.uk/magento-seo/

The book is also free which I think was a bonus because the material it provides is very chargeable however they do not.
  11. No Profile Picture

A few other books i would recommend (just had a look at my collection) is the following:
    Google Power Search
    Ultimate Guide To Link Building
    The Google Checklist
    500 SEO Tips
    and Learning google analytics and ad words.

Give all these a read and you should be on course to being a very informed SEO provider.
  13. UK Based SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Took me years and im still learning to this day
    "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."
  15. Contributing User

I don't think there is a time-limit to how long it will take to learn - it all comes down to taking action and learning from mistakes. The quicker you learn from mistakes the faster you will learn SEO. I've been doing SEO for years and there is still things to learn.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My girlfriend was taught basics via an online course, that took 30 days, but she barely knows even knows what an H1 does. In other words, you can learn the basics, but mastering it takes ages (and lots of mistakes).