1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question How important to get unwanted links from other sites removed?

Here's the deal: before I took over doing the SEO for my company's website, we evidently had a "professional" company doing it. It looks like they used one of those software packages that links you all over the place, because I'm finding links to us in really strange places. The one in question is an Hawaiian kayak site, and on their links pages they have a ton of links, one of which is titled "Sporting Adventures" and links to our website. We are a Marketing company.

I would guess that the search engines would look down upon this, and so have twice emailed this company asking that they remove this link, to no avail. Should I consider pursuing this further by sending a registered letter, or should I let it go?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I wouldn't waste the money on the registered letter. I wouldn't even waste the money on the email. You are not responsible for who links to you, otherwise it would be easy to sink your competetition.

Those unrelated links are still helping your site although probably very little at this stage. Your time is best spent getting lots of related as the other inbound links (even from a banned site) will not hurt you.

The only penalty you could see is if you were linking to them which you fully control.