1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

How to explain why a 301/canonical isn't an ideal solution

We have a large amount of 301s/canonicals on our site which aren't actually needed, just had people be lazy since we've automatically removed .aspx with a load of old urls with .aspx etc. So we have a lot of canonicals/301s. I'm trying to put together a case to get a large amount of these fixed (really simple stuff to do, just don't have the access to do it).

I'm basically looking for a way of explaining the above to show why they aren't ideal.

EDIT: needs to be simple, I can explain the technical side, but can't think of a suitable way of explaining it simply.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't 301 anything... Unless each page has links to it, that you have no control over.

Using the canonical tags fixes any search engine issues and then ignore.

Technically, I removed from Google every unwanted URL to ensure no one but actual visitors ever found a canonical... But I was also bored.
  5. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fathom
    I wouldn't 301 anything... Unless each page has links to it, that you have no control over.

Using the canonical tags fixes any search engine issues and then ignore.

Technically, I removed from Google every unwanted URL to ensure no one but actual visitors ever found a canonical... But I was also bored.
    We do have some practical reasons for 301ing some content, such as moving our categories like we did a couple of months ago, but nowhere near on the scale that we should have. We for example have a breadcrumb that's automatically generated, however it generates with the .aspx which then is redirecting to the url without .aspx. There's also a canonical on every single link on the site to a different url. So for example the category /christmas/christmas-decorations the link users would be given would be /Christmas/Christmas-Decorations with the canonical of /christmas/christmas-decorations am I right in thinking this is a reasonable issue. It's a large ecommerce site and we do have a decent amount of links to categories. (Still learning about links!)
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

To ensure I'm not misunderstanding your posted details... Mind if I can see a sample in the actual domain. I can't fathom a genuine reason to use a redirect... But I also might not appreciate everything you do.
  9. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fathom
    To ensure I'm not misunderstanding your posted details... Mind if I can see a sample in the actual domain. I can't fathom a genuine reason to use a redirect... But I also might not appreciate everything you do.
    I'll send you a link when the site is up again (it's just crashed)