1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Red face Help a new website copywriter!

Hi everyone!

Recently, I began writing website copy. I really need help/advice with SEO copy. I have searched the net and have somewhat familiarized myself, but I feel like I really need the basics broken down.

A couple questions:

1. SEO articles. The only thing I know is that these are separate from simply embedding keywords/phrases on the pages of the site. Any info on these would be helpful. (i.e. How to write them, what are the benefits...)

2. If anyone has any helpful websites... I would like to begin with the basic-basics, then move to more specific SEO copy matters.

Thanks so much! I am so happy to have found this forum.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Amy Pants
    Hi everyone!

Recently, I began writing website copy. I really need help/advice with SEO copy. I have searched the net and have somewhat familiarized myself, but I feel like I really need the basics broken down.

A couple questions:

1. SEO articles. The only thing I know is that these are separate from simply embedding keywords/phrases on the pages of the site. Any info on these would be helpful. (i.e. How to write them, what are the benefits...)

2. If anyone has any helpful websites... I would like to begin with the basic-basics, then move to more specific SEO copy matters.

A misconception: SEO articles - Copywriting is copywriting - write about an interesting topic that might appeal to your market - that's it.

It is naturally assumed that your "topic of interest" has something to do with your website, information, products, or services.
  5. No Profile Picture

I know how to copywrite, I'm just wanting to learn more about how to integrate seo techniques into the writing. I am curious about these separate seo articles, why some people use them and others do not.

Anyone have some info on what I'm talking about?

Thanks!!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You have been answered.
    There is nothing anybody could add to this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cool

Here is something for you:
    1)Add your targetted keywords.
    2)Make sure that you use them wisely, don't just stuff them for the sake of ...
    3)Consider keyword density and keyword prominence.
    4)Optimize between writing for search engines to crawl your page and bring it to the top of SERPs, and for users who are will find your articles on the top of SERPs and read your page.
    5) Read what you wrote loudly to yourself. That way you will know if you have overused or underused your keywords in your text.

Cheers..

Hi everyone!

A couple questions:

11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by mandeep
    Here is something for you:
    1)Add your targetted keywords.
    2)Make sure that you use them wisely, don't just stuff them for the sake of ...
    3)Consider keyword density and keyword prominence.
    4)Optimize between writing for search engines to crawl your page and bring it to the top of SERPs, and for users who are will find your articles on the top of SERPs and read your page.
    5) Read what you wrote loudly to yourself. That way you will know if you have overused or underused your keywords in your text.

Cheers..
    Just a note - you can have a page [article] rank #1 with a single keyword on the page and "even no keyword on the page" e.g. Miserable Failure thus there isn't any reason to write and add "keywords" beyond the natural way you would write an article to be place in "Time Magazine".

If your topic is about condoms you don't need to consider how many times you write "condoms" or other variations of use... just make the topic "interesting" - the links to it - "the way you connect it to your website [or someone else does] makes or breaks it - which means if you "exchange" you likely don't get any benefit beyond that of a "normal link exchange".\

NOTE: an article 'with a link' is just an link exchange with a much more robust description - which the website where the article resides get the most benefit.
    Last edited by fathom; Apr 10th, 2006 at 08:34 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I think when there is a very competitive area your targetting, you really need to use more keywords in the article. in yahoo, usually the highly ranking pages are the ones with more keywords... while in google this is not essential because google base their ranking on internal and external links.

keywords and the title is key in search engine rankings

Good luck
  15. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by BlackBerry
    I think when there is a very competitive area your targetting, you really need to use more keywords in the article. in yahoo, usually the highly ranking pages are the ones with more keywords... while in google this is not essential because google base their ranking on internal and external links.

keywords and the title is key in search engine rankings

Good luck
    "AN ARTICLE" will not change much no matter how many times you add keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, etc.

Thus the IDEA of article writing is to diversify your website information through continuous writing... and if you have continuous growth 1, 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 > on this growth scale - repetitive keyword on 10K will be no better than "just writing normally".

... if you plan to only write "1" or "2" - 1,000 repetitive keywords on each isn't going to have the desired impact... a "new page per day of natural writing say 300 days per year" - will.
  17. No Profile Picture

I disagree

with our website we did just that!
    Increase the keywords across every page... and what was the result? higher rankings.
  19. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by BlackBerry
    I disagree

with our website we did just that!
    Increase the keywords across every page... and what was the result? higher rankings.
    ...and I didn't say it wouldn't - what I said was: writing naturally will have the same impact... and your improvement is far more about website build-up of topic [architecture wise].

In fact, your noted "every page" implies some form of website "architecture" [link organization] as in content is arranged to be supportive to other pages [and the reverse].

Increasing word "density" has far less impact than increasing "pages of similar content" - so while you conclude your "ranks" improved merely by adding "more keywords" - that observation isn't the complete story.
  21. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up Ok, lemme get this straight

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I think I will do a few things... one, make my on page content rich (but not stuffed) with keywords.

Two, (and correct me if I am wrong) have a separate page for each article I write. Ex) Cabinets, and a link at the bottom of the page to the single page article titled "cabinets."

Say I have a 500 word article, how many times should I use the keywords? (how to determine density?)

So, bottom line, the more content (artilces) I link to the site will naturally optimize. Readable info is more imporant than just keywords.

Thanks everyone!

Amy
  23. rod@missionop.com

Thanks everyone for all the info.

I think I will do a few things... one, make my on page content rich (but not stuffed) with keywords.

Two, (and correct me if I am wrong) have a separate page for each article I write. Ex) Cabinets, and a link at the bottom of the page to the single page article titled "cabinets."

Say I have a 500 word article, how many times should I use the keywords? (how to determine density?)

So, bottom line, the more content (artilces) I link to the site will naturally optimize. Readable info is more imporant than just keywords.

Thanks everyone!

Amy
    Well to expand a bit you are [I assume] writing articles as a way to improve your exposure for selling something and not as the main reason for the visit...

If this is the case your "article content" is a secondary resource and 'should' be managed separately from your "primary" product/service pages - as the 'idea' in this strategy is "push/pull" results.

A content management system (CMS) allows you to aggregate all your secondary resources under a single 'sub' roof... that conveniently links to important parts of your website [e.g. a catalog of products or services - [the general navigation of this secondary resource points to your commerical area - and using your "keywords" thus because of the general include files header, footer, and side bars your primary keywords are already on every single page without any articles what-so-ever so every article starts with a "density" to begin with.

While there are many CMSs a fairly good free one that works well is http://drupal.org/

Now - you need not concern with "article keyword density" at least in the sense that blackberry disagrees with - just write "period" - develop unique titles & topics of articles and let the general navigation handle the 'general keywords' and the articles themselves covering the visitors.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile

Originally Posted by fathom
    "AN ARTICLE" will not change much no matter how many times you add keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword, etc.

Thus the IDEA of article writing is to diversify your website information through continuous writing... and if you have continuous growth 1, 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 > on this growth scale - repetitive keyword on 10K will be no better than "just writing normally".

... if you plan to only write "1" or "2" - 1,000 repetitive keywords on each isn't going to have the desired impact... a "new page per day of natural writing say 300 days per year" - will.
    I agree with you as well as with BlackBerry. But the thing is speeding up the ranking process. With proper use of repetative keywords, the rankings will certainly increase and in a short time. However, if you plan to go without this keyword thing, the ranks may increase but take much more time. I would also not categorically deny the fact that your way (i.e. add 300 articles a year) will bear better long term result than BlackBerry's way.

Ideally, I would add one informative and interesting article everyday and use repeated keywords in a proper and NATURAL looking way.

What do you think?