1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Duplicate sites helpful or hurtful

Hey everyone, as you could have guess in new to this world of SEO. Here is the scenario, there are 3 sites that are complete duplicates of each other, just different domains. Here are the 3 urls alpineco.com armoredvehicles.com and alpinearmoring.com. I've looked up how they rank with several keywords and here is what I found. Only 2 of the sites appear in search engines. Each search engine only ranks one of the sites. I assume that each search engine can plainly see that they are duplicates and discards the 2 other sites. My question is this, is this hurtful to have these parallel sites. Would it be a better idea to change each of the sites so they are unique and can be indexed, or is this against SEO ethics. Any suggestions for the situation? FYI, I don't know why these guys have made duplicate sites, I'm just around to make it work better.
    A big thank you goes out to any and all the professionals who take the time to answer my questions.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello...

I highly recommend reading DAZZLINDONNA's NEWBIE POST! It outlines many of the 'hot' topics and will answer prolly all your current and future questions about duplicate content.

With that said DUPLICATE CONTENT is a big NO NO with the search engines today. As seen on MOST forums, unique, rich keyword rich content along with themed link building is your best approach in attaining decent rankings. It is a much much better idea to re-do the content on your 3 sites, targeting niche specific keywords and including unique content/news/articles, relevant to the theme of the website at hand.

Google and many other engines are now able to detect duplicate content and will discount that content heavily as a result....

CRITTER