1. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

define "back link"

I'm writing a glossary of terms for my new site and i'm having a brainfart with regards to the definition to the term "back link" I need to define it in lamons terms, suggestions?
  3. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Usually means a link that is off site pointing on site.
  5. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Finished the article 2 weeks ago but thanks
    Webmasters who spend their energies upholding the spirit of the basic principles [Of Google] will provide a much better user experience and subsequently enjoy better ranking than those who spend their time looking for loopholes they can exploit. Google.com

Real Estate
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Backlinks are incoming links to a website or web page. Inbound links were originally important (prior to the emergence of search engines) as a primary means of web navigation; today their significance lies in search engine optimization (SEO). The number of backlinks is one indication of the popularity or importance of that website or page (for example, this is used by Google to determine the PageRank of a webpage). Outside of SEO, the backlinks of a webpage may be of significant personal, cultural or semantic interest: they indicate who is paying attention to that page.In basic link terminology, a backlink is any link received by a web node (web page, directory, website, or top level domain) from another web node. Backlinks are also known as incoming links, inbound links, inlinks, and inward links.
  9. No Profile Picture

Smile Backlink

Originally Posted by seo guy
    I'm writing a glossary of terms for my new site and i'm having a brainfart with regards to the definition to the term "back link" I need to define it in lamons terms, suggestions?
    Backlink: known as generally inbound links,in links or inward link are basically the links that are coming back to a web page or on a website. Importance of backlink is for page rank. As Google assign different PR(page rank) to each page of your website if you have web nodes interconnecting each other i.e backlinks to other pages on every page with relevant keywords then PR of that page flows to page link is connecting.

ex:Suppose if you have a pharmaceutical site and medicine for different treatments are described at different pages. your page for medicine related to kidneys should be ranked with keyword for medicine related to kidney in that case rather than home page so for that u need to do interlinking.
  11. No Profile Picture

hey.....
    the general definition of back link is.....
    it would be that link that comes back to website......
    it is quite important for web pages
  13. No Profile Picture

back link

they are connections from the websites to a particular site that is being promoted.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Links that are directed towards your site from other sites on the web. Also known as Inbound Links.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees : sorry for the warning, made a mistake, it'll expire in 7 days..