1. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Arrow Competing another Keyword

Hello everyone...
    I was wondering how can i take a keyword and work on ranking it the highest against another similar one, what makes the differences? does it depend on the link popularity? if not then what does it depend on?
    Thanks in advance good people
  3. Registered User

Question

can anyone share any information regarding this issue?
    Last edited by Abbudi; Apr 28th, 2004 at 07:03 PM.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Careto be more specific?

Agalychnis
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

hi Abbudi,

I am sorry. I did not understand your question.
  9. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Abbudi,

You are back to asking very general questions again. Too difficult to answer without writing a thesis. Do a search on this forum for some posts re: keyword selection, etc. ;)
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  11. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

abbudi...

i will take a guess at what your question is...

i am thinking that you are wondering how to target a second similar keyphrase.
    well...lets say your first phrase is 'corporate identity'.
    ...and lets say your second phrase is 'corporate promotion'.

if you site is small and new...like yours...then i would suggest sticking with the index page as the target page.
    all you need to do is make sure you mix up your incoming link text between 'corporate identity' and 'corporate promotion'.
    in many cases...you can combine the two make the link text 'corporate identity and promotion'.
    that works fine too.
    then make sure you mix these two keyphases into the page title and page content and meta tags.

now...at some future time...when your interior pages gain significant enough pagerank and your site has grown large enough...you may want to split these two terms into separate target pages.

13. Registered User

Thank you guys for the usefull information, relaxzoolander, you gave some good tips, tho i think i was specific enough about the question, lets say i got a conflict resolution company, and my keywords and meta phrases are almost similar to the competitor, what ranks me above my competitor?
    if this isn't enough i will ask even a simpler question; What makes the difference in promoting 2 similar businesses? what other do that make their business rank better, i know that it is related to link popularity, Quality of content. and lets say my content is better and also the link popularity. how do i rank a keyword to be #1?
    or its just the title that matters?
  15. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Abbudi, if you are saying that each of their site designs are 100% equal in quality and SEO methodology within the eyes of Google, then the difference in the serp placement for the same keyword would be within the page rank arena. This comes down to back links, i.e., who is the most popular or relevant in terms of the Google algo.
  17. Contributing User

How do you think people will search for your web page? The words you imagine them typing into the search box are your target keywords.

For example, say you have a page devoted to stamp collecting. Anytime someone types "stamp collecting," you want your page to be in the top ten results. Then those are your target keywords for that page.

Each page in your web site will have different target keywords that reflect the page's content. For example, say you have another page about the history of stamps. Then "stamp history" might be your keywords for that page.

Your target keywords should always be at least two or more words long. Usually, too many sites will be relevant for a single word, such as "stamps." This "competition" means your odds of success are lower. Don't waste your time fighting the odds. Pick phrases of two or more words, and you'll have a better shot at success.
  19. Contributing User

Make sure your target keywords appear in the crucial locations on your web pages. The page's HTML title tag is most important. Failure to put target keywords in the title tag is the main reason why perfectly relevant web pages may be poorly ranked. More about the title tag can be found on the How HTML Meta Tags Work page.

Build your titles around the top two or three phrases that you would like the page to be found for. The titles should be relatively short and attractive. Think of newspaper headlines. With a few words, they make you want to read a story. Similarly, your page titles are like headlines for your pages. They appear in search engine listings, and a short, attractive title may help make users click through to your site.

Search engines also like pages where keywords appear "high" on the page, as described more fully on the Search Engine Ranking page. To accommodate them, use your target keywords for your page headline, if possible. Have them also appear in the first paragraphs of your web page.

Keep in mind that tables can "push" your text further down the page, making keywords less relevant because they appear lower on the page. This is because tables break apart when search engines read them. For example, picture a typical two-column page, where the first column has navigational links, while the second column has the keyword loaded text. Humans see that page like this: