1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Cease and desist notices for 302 redirects

I spoke to my attorney regarding the 302 redirect issue, and how people doing this are hurting the sites they're linking to. The theory from the 302 people is that since they aren't actually physically copying your contents to their server, there's no problem. Your page is still on your site, not on theirs, even though they are benefiting from it.

Well, my attorney said that my URL is hard coded on their site, and as the owner of that domain, I have the right to determine how it is used. If, in my opinion, this is unfair use, they must remove it. So Cease and desist notices went out to some of the jerks 302ing my site, advising them that as owner of that domain, they did not have my permission to use it, and the link was to be removed IMMEDIATELY! Further, any references to my domain on any other site they own or operate needed to be removed, as well. This hopefully covers sites I don't know about or haven't yet contacted.

Every one of the sites notified has now removed my link, so this might be something to consider. I had my attorney send out the notices, so it was obviously official, but you could do them yourselves with a CC: legal@ my domain. com, and that would likely also get the point across.

Drew

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Thanks! Great info.
    • Bernard agrees : good info, thanks ~Bernard
    • Jasontnyc agrees : Great Post - Quick and Concise about an important issue
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This is good info, Thanks!

How did you figure out where all of the 302s were coming from? Is there an easy way to identify all of them?
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

There was a post somewhere telling how to find sites that were linking to your site using tracker2.php, I think it may have been here. Not sure now. I did as suggested, and basically had to go through the listings looking for anything that seemed strange.

I found sites that linked to my site normally, when viewed with Google's cache, but when you view the current page, they were using tracker to redirect. I also reported the jerks to Google!

It was very time consuming, and I'm sure there are others out there that need to be contacted. I'll have to save that for another day, though. Google really needs to deal with this, as this alone is impacting the quality of their SERPs. Since a few of these links were removed, I've seen some upward movement for a few of my pages again, verifying in my mind that this is something Google needs to address - quickly - as it is a way for competition to influence the SERPs, making them irrelevant.

Irrelevant = DEATH to a search engine!

Drew
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Egol-

There is what I think is a pretty good sum up of what is happening and how to detect it here --> Kind of a 302 issues for dummies:

http://www.tonyspencer.com/mt/archives/2004/12/tracker2php_pag_1.htm

As they state in the article, finding it via tracker2.php doesn't always work.

Enjoy!
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Thanks guys!

I see some of this happening on a couple of my sites. This makes me really mad.
  11. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I had this issue, but the sites were hosted in a former Soviet republic and I had little hope they would respond to my personal threats, so I dealt with it formally through Google. It takes a little while, but the results are good - http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=1535
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  13. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't know why we someone just doesn't file a class action against Google and get a blanket cease and desist and a little damages. I know I'd join. The nerve...telling me it was my host serving another site...lol

Cheers
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo