Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    ppcguy.net
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Aliens - Get in Their Heads

Does anyone please have some tips for writing so as to psychologically get in to the head of the customer? I mean really connecting with them. Any tips will be much appreciated.

?
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by seogoat
    Does anyone please have some tips for writing so as to psychologically get in to the head of the customer? I mean really connecting with them. Any tips will be much appreciated.

?
    Find out what they want to know. A simple question or short survey could help. Gives you ideas on what to write about, stuff that your customers would actually want to know, not just what you think they want to know.

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees : thanks for your input
    • Lb1878 agrees
  5. Moderator

?
    Focus on the benefits of your product/ service and how it stands out from your competitors.

You also need to mention the features but IMHO people don't care much about features as they do about benefits.

Provide a solution to their woes and see them turning into customers.

Terri can we have your thoughts on this please?

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees : thanks pro

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  7. End game expert
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

?
    They might be interested if you will show some keywords they should be targeting, with some potential traffic and market value. In the first place, all they need is to increase traffic/SERP and website sales. A correctly done keyword research can really spark prospect interest..it shows your assertiveness and interest in doing business with them.
  9. Moderator

Originally Posted by Emerson
    They might be interested if you will show some keywords they should be targeting, with some potential traffic and market value. In the first place, all they need is to increase traffic/SERP and website sales. A correctly done keyword research can really spark prospect interest..it shows your assertiveness and interest in doing business with them.
    I thought he asked that for generic topics not specifically for selling SEO services
  11. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Over the years, many more search queries that direct traffic to our site have been in the form of a questions. Try going through your keywords data and start answering some of the questions people are looking for if they do not exist on your site. These always generate new articles for us and are usually welcomed by our readers.

I too like the survey idea as it's direct feedback from your users.

Comments on this post

• terriwells agrees : Great idea! Yes, when trying to get in the head of your customers, think about what questions they want to answer.
    • seogoat agrees : thanks for your contribution lb
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hmm...in our experience, using a "user survey" can often be counter-productive for a whole variety of reasons...based on our own use of same over the past 7 years or so.

first, you get only those users who wish to get someone to NOTE their opinions on the question. those who're happy, dont bother (usually) those who aren't happy will rant in the Comments box after filling out the survey. while this can get you actual user issues, you should also remember that %'s of users who WILL fill out a website survey are notoriously low - then skewed towards upset rather than happy ones!

second, your questions are so so important. it's been said a million times that the simple construction of the same question in various syntax, can and WILL produce various levels of agreement/disagreement depending on what you the survey creator WANT the survey to show. political survery folks like know this one very very well! so it's no surprise then that you can - or anyone can - "rig" a survey to come up with the answer required.

third, of course, there's the reporting of the survey results. we've found that should you make those %'s available to the user base, you can "shade" the incoming user's opinions to a large degree - especially if this is a viral suvey...ie one that grows on it's own which in itself can be a bit of a challenge except as we've found say on a membership site.

that all said, or lastly, there's the whole issue of apathy and the now-pretty-traditional view that all surveys are a waste of time for the general public. should that part of the population be your major universe (ie the folks whom you're trying to eventually earn your or your client's conversions) then things just ain't gonna be in anywhere near enough large numbers for you to draw any valid summarys from the survey numbers.

sad, but true. we've not bothered with same now in over 3 years I think....but of course your mileage may vary -- especially, as I noted, in a membership site where a survey can actually track user issues....and wants/needs/desires...

best of luck and let us all know how things work out for you!

Jim

Comments on this post

• terriwells agrees
    • seogoat agrees : thanks for sharing your views and experiences on surveys and whether they work or not
    Jim Rudnick
    MCSD
    Canadian SEO

Twitter: @JVRudnick

read. learn. hypothesize. test. analyze...then rank!

15. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JVRudnick
    Hmm...in our experience, using a "user survey" can often be counter-productive for a whole variety of reasons...based on our own use of same over the past 7 years or so.

first, you get only those users who wish to get someone to NOTE their opinions on the question. those who're happy, dont bother (usually) those who aren't happy will rant in the Comments box after filling out the survey. while this can get you actual user issues, you should also remember that %'s of users who WILL fill out a website survey are notoriously low - then skewed towards upset rather than happy ones!

second, your questions are so so important. it's been said a million times that the simple construction of the same question in various syntax, can and WILL produce various levels of agreement/disagreement depending on what you the survey creator WANT the survey to show. political survery folks like know this one very very well! so it's no surprise then that you can - or anyone can - "rig" a survey to come up with the answer required.

third, of course, there's the reporting of the survey results. we've found that should you make those %'s available to the user base, you can "shade" the incoming user's opinions to a large degree - especially if this is a viral suvey...ie one that grows on it's own which in itself can be a bit of a challenge except as we've found say on a membership site.

that all said, or lastly, there's the whole issue of apathy and the now-pretty-traditional view that all surveys are a waste of time for the general public. should that part of the population be your major universe (ie the folks whom you're trying to eventually earn your or your client's conversions) then things just ain't gonna be in anywhere near enough large numbers for you to draw any valid summarys from the survey numbers.

sad, but true. we've not bothered with same now in over 3 years I think....but of course your mileage may vary -- especially, as I noted, in a membership site where a survey can actually track user issues....and wants/needs/desires...

best of luck and let us all know how things work out for you!

Jim
    Just like you said, I'm one of those that doesn't fill out a survey unless I'm dissatisfied.

But in this case, wouldn't those be the people you would want to ask for their opinion? The people that don't find what they want?
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

well, yes...except to a large degree what we found was that you got RANTs about items that were NOT in the survey itself....I HATE THE YELLOW BACKGROUND items when we asked about fine-tuning the delivery of trucks in Nebraska which had state limits on 3rd party drivers and manifest listings....that kinda thingl

but yes, I do agree with you js, that what you DO want are valid user concerns....it's just that we never ever got more than about 3% of same....the other 97% all didn't like YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
  19. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JVRudnick
    well, yes...except to a large degree what we found was that you got RANTs about items that were NOT in the survey itself....I HATE THE YELLOW BACKGROUND items when we asked about fine-tuning the delivery of trucks in Nebraska which had state limits on 3rd party drivers and manifest listings....that kinda thingl

but yes, I do agree with you js, that what you DO want are valid user concerns....it's just that we never ever got more than about 3% of same....the other 97% all didn't like YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
    Ha, good point. And then filtering through all those answers would waste too much time anyhow.
  21. Got Mule?
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Angeles City, Philippines & Sometimes So. California
    It depends on the product or service you sell. I agree that you must offer a unique selling proposition to differentiate yourself and your product from competitors.

If you sell a technology product my suggestion is to visualize the pain or problems your client experiences and educate the customer how your product or service can solve their pain or problem. A great book on how to sell technology is Customer Centric Selling by Michael Bosworth: http://www.amazon.com/CustomerCentric-Selling-Michael-Bosworth/dp/0071425454 best sales book I have ever read!

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees : cheers for the book recommendation Europa, i have noted it down
    Last edited by europa; May 11th, 2009 at 04:03 PM.
    "It is better to confess ignorance than provide it" - Homer Hickman

SEO Consulting Services by Internet Search Marketing.com
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by pro_seo
    Focus on the benefits of your product/ service and how it stands out from your competitors.

You also need to mention the features but IMHO people don't care much about features as they do about benefits.

Provide a solution to their woes and see them turning into customers.

Terri can we have your thoughts on this please?
    *blush* Well since you asked so nicely...

And let me once again preface this very strongly with my usual disclaimer: I am NOT an SEO (and I'm desperately resisting the temptation to add "but I play one on the Internet").

Pro_seo is VERY MUCH on the right track here. Any customer is going to look closely at how your product is going to benefit THEM. That's different from listing features. Here's an example: a digital camera may have some kind of stabilizers built into it (lots of camera companies have special names for their particular version of it). It's an anti-shake feature, something to compensate for the unsteady hands of the person holding the camera.

That's a feature.

If someone buys that camera, the pictures they take with it will be less blurry, so they'll enjoy them more.

That's a benefit.

I can't really say I have "special knowledge" here. The way to get into the head of your customer is to try to imagine as well as you can the kind of person who'd use your product, and then think about how they'd directly benefit from it. At that point you write to those concerns.

If you have the right product and the right kind of friends, you can even ASK them why they might use your product. (You'd be surprised what you can turn up when you talk to people who are at one or two removes from what you're doing).

I hope that helps.

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Without knowing what it is you are selling, it’s hard to give very specific advice, as what works for a product that has a high level of involvement in the decision making process (such as buying a car) will vary considerably to that which would work for a low involvement products (such as a chocolate bar).

I agree with most of the the comments above about benefits and also the difficulties involved with surveys. Perhaps you could combine this with a slightly different approach?

My experience has been mainly selling capital equipment so there was a high level of ongoing involvement between the company I worked for and the customers. Many of our customers were in for the long haul and had been there for 20 years, so providing clients with a great experience on all fronts – sale of equipment, smoothness of installation, ongoing service to equipment, supply of consumables, response time to breakdowns etc – was of paramount importance.

Cultivating relationships with existing clients, really listening to what they had to say and then coming up with a plan of action to rectify or improve on the issues they brought to light, went a great way towards creating developing a reputation in the industry for all round excellent service and brought some new and very lucrative clients. Our approach was one of talking to a real person either on the phone or in person.

In a nutshell – talk to your existing clients. Make them feel special – that their opinion is of absolute importance (because it is!). Listen to what they are telling you. Compare their responses with what you thought they would say – are they different? Did they expect some kind of benefit from your product that they did not receive and you had not considered? Did they receive some kind of benefit that you had not considered?

Of course this is not the ONLY thing to be done, (there is something to be said for developing a marketing plan) but it is something I have found useful. People like to feel special – amazing what a nice lunch will do

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees
    • terriwells agrees
  27. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I teach marketing and I will share an analogy that I read once. You need a 'hook' and the knowledge of how to 'salt the oats'.

Picture this scene A man is in his back yard working in his garden. It is hot and he is quite dirty and sweaty. He smells his wife cooking lunch. It is his favorite food. His mouth starts watering. He will be inside soon having finished the gardening, This is his thought. Meanwhile his neighbor is next door with a new fishing rod he has just purchased. He is practicing his casting. The line comes over the fence and the hook catches the man doing his garden in the nose. The neighbor pulls hard on the line….. What is the man thinking about now. He is totally focused. There now is only one thought in his mind. He has been hooked

A hook needs to grab the potential customers attention and focus them on what you wish them thinking about.

‘Salting the oats’ is based on the old saying You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink …. It is not true… Put salt in that horses oats and watch how much it drinks….. You need to salt your oats… It not enough just to lead them to the water. It does not work often enough. Give the customer a reason to buy. Give a call to action.

Getting into the head of the customer is the easy bit. Want you really need to do is develop the strategy that gets into their pocket ...

Good luck

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees : THanks Gaz I like that.
    • pro_seo agrees : Wise words!
    • pagi agrees : Brillant analogy, I love it almost as much as Egol's war ones!
    • Minks agrees
    • Lb1878 agrees : Especially with the point of developing a strategy to get into their pockets
    Live the moment
  29. 魔鬼是我的背部
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Cool

?
    Subliminal Messages.
    Develop a music or a video which contains Subliminal Messages like "i like this product" or "i want to buy this product now". Here 'this' product is your own product. This is the best way to get literally into the heads of your clients.

For those who dont know what are subliminal messages, check this out:

A subliminal message is a signal or message embedded in another medium, designed to pass below the normal limits of the human mind's perception. These messages are unrecognizable by the conscious mind, but in certain situations can affect the subconscious mind and can negatively or positively influence subsequent later thoughts, behaviors, actions, attitudes, belief systems and value systems.
    Source: wikipedia

Comments on this post

• seogoat agrees : maybe if i was a hypnotist but yeah ur right it would work
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: