1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Advice on SEO needed

Hi All,

In need of some general advice. Ive been talking to alot of SEO companiew lately about taking on my website and promoting it back to where it used to be. The only downside is that i really cannot afford the fees at present. Im being quoted by nearly every company 1500 a month which is way outside my budget, especially with a new born baby!

I have been doing some of the work myself over the past few years so not a complete novice but wanted to confirm my ideas with you guys if possible.

I currently have a de-valuation by google for certain keywords which i am working to put right but im being told i need to do it by removing links but also build new stong reputable links. Not a problem doing both. Over the past year i have been doing alot of research on my competitors and have a vast list of links that point to all of my competitors. I am thinking of taking this list of links and doing my best to get links from the same domains that link to my top competitors? is this a good practice to follow or and i starting off in the workng direction?

any help you have would be much appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

It is a smart move to follow what your comptetors are doing.
    However the drop can be caused by the latest Google updates, and you can ask google to reconsider your site..
    If you have a "white hat" site I would send a Reconsideration request to Google.If you have any "black hat" on your site I would try to remove it befor sending the Reconsideration request
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

What would you budget be if you was to hire someone for SEO? It might be worth your asking some of the top members here if they can help you for a price you can afford. I could fit in some time for you also so feel free to drop me a PM if you like.

Back to your questions about link building:
    Yes that's partly correct what you have been told about getting rankings back for keywords which you have built bad links for. You will need to remove the bad links you can and start to build some quality natural looking links. And then once you have done all that you possible can to get your site back within the google guidelines and looking more natural you will want to submit a reconsideration request via google WMT.

For your question about getting competitor links. There is nothing wrong with doing that but simply building the same links as those above you is very unlikely to get you ranking above them because their links would hold a little more weight due to being old then yours.

So as well as getting competitor links you will want to build other highly authoritative links which will out do those of your competitors. For example say your competitors have links on the BBC website, you could also work to get such links as well as getting links on other authoritative new/tv sites like ITV etc
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi nathanielb,

At the moment my main focus is about ensuring that my link building doesnt do anymore damage to my website. This is why i am thinking of going by the same websites as my competitors. I agree that the age of the links will have an bearing on the ranking of my site but i think its defiantely time to keep things stable and consistent and not go off doing my own thing. Once i am back up and running then defianetly look to outdo my competitors. By this point i may have the budget to allow for a proper campaign to be done.

Just mentioned to my wife about a budget for the site. hmmmmm didnt get a good response. Have to agree with her at present that the baby comes first before the website.

Appreciate your help on this. Will start getting a list together and seeing what i can get listed. Believe i have over 10,000 links to consider. What would be a 'Natural' growth of links and what sites should i look for? Directories? Articles? forums? or just general website where a 'resources' page may be available to add your site to?

cheers
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by wilkesy
    Once i am back up and running then defianetly look to outdo my competitors. By this point i may have the budget to allow for a proper campaign to be done.
    Not saying you approach is wrong, but you know the saying "you have to spend a little to make a little" well that stands for online stores too!

Fair enough you can't afford to pay for an seo at this time, but as long as you stick around here and learn from the right people (the guys here with a good rep who offer quality advice, not just random people that have no rep (rep is the numbers and colour to the right of everyone's post)), then you should be able to seo the site yourself as long as your able to put the time in and willing to learn what you need to learn not what you want to here!

Just mentioned to my wife about a budget for the site. hmmmmm didnt get a good response. Have to agree with her at present that the baby comes first before the website.
    Yes quite right, family - especially babies - should come first, but as I said above, you need to spend money to make money! And if your website is meant to be your main source of income you will need to spend all the extra time and money you have getting your site back in good standing order with google to rank well again.

Appreciate your help on this. Will start getting a list together and seeing what i can get listed. Believe i have over 10,000 links to consider. What would be a 'Natural' growth of links and what sites should i look for? Directories? Articles? forums? or just general website where a 'resources' page may be available to add your site to?

cheers
    Your competitors may well have over 10k links, but I can guaranty that they aint all authoritative links which are worth you getting!

You need to workout which links pass on authority (that's authority not toolbar PR). I tend to use mozrank to help me work out which links are good as well as other on page factors such as being relevant, who links to them and who else they link to.

Simply submitting your site to thousands of directories is not what we in the seo world call quality links (or at least those that know what quality link building really is).

All these random lists of:
    directories