1. No Profile Picture
    Utility Bot
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

SEO Tricks That Will Lower Your Rankings

So, the time has come for you to consider, or more likely than not, to reconsider your SEO strategy. Perhaps you're new to the game, and don't even know what SEO is. Don't worry, we'll explain it. We'll also explain some tactics that seem at first glance to be good ideas, but really aren't. Best of all, we'll show you how to spot these bad ideas so your site doesn't pay the consequences.

Read the full article here: SEO Tricks That Will Lower Your Rankings

For more discussion go here: Blog Article Discussion

3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    I did not read the full article... I stopped once the writer started talking about the importance of meta tags and keyword lists.

I then jumped to where the writer talks about doorway pages and redirects. Doorway pages, if done correctly, can be landing pages that have links back into the site but without links, other than on the site map, that the user would normally use. They are "doorways" but compliant to search engine TOS.

The article, IMO, is almost useless. Someone else can finish reading it. SEO Chat should have the moderators review articles before they are placed. We try to give good answers, but if your articles are full of crap... what is the use?

Comments on this post

• lewisdb agrees
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Smile

but if your articles are full of crap... what is the use?
    Full of crap is IMO a little bit extreme.

That's right, Google does not even look at the content of the meta keywords element, so you can do whatever you want with it, it will not affect your ranking.

About doorway pages, you said yourself "if done correctly". Let say that the advice in the article refers to doorway pages built for spamdexing in the worst way.

Skip directly to part 4 and you will find advices that are valuable: be nice, write content for your visitors, etc... (although SERPs are still full of well ranked sites doing just the opposite.)
    Last edited by Keiros; Nov 25th, 2008 at 09:42 AM.
    SEO for the dummies
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx.
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Any article or writing that is in error from the outset places doubt on the balance. For example, if someone writes a resume and sends it to a headhunter or HR reviewer and they find a typo or mispellings... more than 80% will immediately trash that resume.

If an engineer or scientist begins to review a research paper and finds unfounded conclusions... what do you think would happen to that paper?

An article on SEO published on a LEARNING SEO SITE should be error free... if it is replete with errors... it is useless on a LEARNING SEO SITE. My only request is that ALL articles be reviewed for obvious POOR advice. In case you did not notice... SEO Chat is a LEARNING OF SEO site. To give poor advice on SEO makes SEO Chat members task harder in giving correct advice.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Nov 25th, 2008 at 09:45 AM.
  9. rod@missionop.com

My first thought.... people don't really read word for word verbatim online they tend to scan information and as such you title can be equally:

SEO Tricks... Rankings

Secondly... when targeting "noobies" it's far better to explain "what to do" rather than "what not"... sure it you don't tell them something they won't follow advice not given... remember that for the next point...

Lastly, don't introduce "new terms" without full explanations... e.g. in the discussion about a "link service"... you noted "bad neighborhood... the problem here is every noobie hiring someone will say "do you link to bad neighborhood?"

What do you think the answer will be?

"NO absolutely not!"

...so obviously in this case 'according to you' "no link service uses bad neighborhoods"... you didn't explain what a bad neighborhood look like, smells like, tastes like... so the noobie could "avoid it" and therefore your advice is pure crap!
  11. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    I did not read the full article... I stopped once the writer started talking about the importance of meta tags and keyword lists.

I then jumped to where the writer talks about doorway pages and redirects. Doorway pages, if done correctly, can be landing pages that have links back into the site but without links, other than on the site map, that the user would normally use. They are "doorways" but compliant to search engine TOS.

The article, IMO, is almost useless. Someone else can finish reading it. SEO Chat should have the moderators review articles before they are placed. We try to give good answers, but if your articles are full of crap... what is the use?
    I have to agree. Being fairly new to SEO I have done the majority of my learning in this forum. I think you would struggle to find any other resource with the same levels of experience and knowledge.

Being fairly new I find it odd that after reading a number of these published articles I find myself disagreeing with much of the content. Surely more thought should be given to the topic and content of the articles.

After all did I not hear somewhere that one of the most important factors in SEO is the quality of its content???
  13. Joe
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by lewisdb
    I have to agree. Being fairly new to SEO I have done the majority of my learning in this forum. I think you would struggle to find any other resource with the same levels of experience and knowledge.
    These forums are where I have learnt around 99.9% of what I know about SEO.

Who writes these articles? Members? Do they get paid?

Surely the publisher should allow top members, people with a certain amount of rep/ post count etc to give their views on the articles.

They articles would then surely become some of the best resources available on the web!!!

Thanks Joe
  15. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by lewisdb
    ...fter reading a number of these published articles I find myself disagreeing with...
    That because the only qualification "to write" is a desire to earn some money... accuracy need not apply.

Comments on this post

• JagNet agrees : sadly that's the truth of it
  17. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom
    That because the only qualification "to write" is a desire to earn some money... accuracy need not apply.
    Its a shame!

They should have an area in the forum where we can all post articles. The thread with the most positive rep each month could be published on the main site.

I find actually committing what you learn to paper (or monitor) the best way to understand and remember.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by fathom

Hmmm, is that the real answer? I don't know if this is right.
  21. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    I stopped once the writer started talking about the importance of meta tags and keyword lists.
    To be fair, she did say
    Originally Posted by Katie
    while many of the search engines have stopped using these words to place sites into the top section of the results, they have not stopped using them to rule sites out.
    Which is something that was widely believed not too long ago... (That whether the tag has a positive effect or not, it can have a negative one).

...sadly, she then went on to decribe meta-keywords as "this brilliant strategy"

Originally Posted by joe@biznet
    Who writes these articles? Members? Do they get paid?

Surely the publisher should allow top members, people with a certain amount of rep/ post count etc to give their views on the articles.

They articles would then surely become some of the best resources available on the web!!!

Thanks Joe
    Hey Joe (good name for a song - lol)...

The author of each article is listed at the top - usually linked to a bio' etc. I think they do get paid a small amount...
    SeoChat invites members to contribute (usually in the newsletters).

Everybody can rate the article via the "Rate Article" Feature.
    Everyone can also give opinions on it... Here and on the blog (linked above).
    Last edited by ClickyB; Feb 12th, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by channerhewitt
    Hmmm, is that the real answer? I don't know if this is right.
    In the spirit of the article's "gist" [hidden meanings not understood by an uneducated audience]

I quote:

witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a sort of ...
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
    Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony, with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    I think they do get paid a small amount...
    They don't publicly disclose amounts but you can make a good living just writing for SEOChat... still your "quality" tends to define the price.

Jon tried numerous time to solicit me... but formal writing isn't my cup of tea - but they do pay pretty good.

If you're a gifted Indian and really know your SEO subject matter - you can easily earn 5+ million rupees a year.

But the problem is your burn rate... writing "every day" requires enormous brain function... it's rare to see writers here for more than a handful of articles...

Terri's an obvious exception to the rule.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo