1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multilingual SEO for world markets Part 2

Multilingual SEO for world markets Part 2
    Multilingual on-page optimization
    By David Leonhardt

In part 1, we looked at keyword research in foreign languages, such as German, French, Spanish and Italian. In part 2, we will look at the on-page optimization...or what to do with that keyword research.

Actually, the on-page optimization is easy. Just place your search terms in all the right places. Of course, it is not quite that simple.

For instance, German nouns like to merge into incredible conglomerates. An example of where I ran into this was at this http://www.dotcom-monitor.de (Netzwerküberwachung) site: Two major search terms were Netzwerküberwachung and Netzwerk überwachung. The first, conglomerate word is actually correct, but people search in funny ways, and the search engines don't generally recognize partial words. In English, a reference to "website monitoring service" would count as a reference for the search term "website monitoring". But the German equivalent, Überwachungsservice für Webseiten, would read literally in English as "monitoringservice for websites".

In other words, you might have to make the translator dance some fancy language steps to deliver a readable message that does not interfere with your search terms.

Multilingual SEO also brings the question of accents. Use them. One well-respected SEO questioned the use of accents when it turned out that more people searched for Montreal than Montréal. Don't you believe it for a second. There simply were more English people searching without the accent, so leave the accents off your English site but keep them on your French, German, Italian or other sites.

There is one exception to the accents rule: if your market is very, um, shall we say "downscale". I think you know what I mean. There is a certain market in English that refuses to capitalize words or use punctuation. The equivalent market in German is unlikely to use an umlaut – you might have to optimize both with and without the accent.

What about file names. Many companies keep the same filenames when they create a translated site. So http://www.rgb.com/en/Products/AudioVisual.asp becomes http://www.rgb.com/fr/Products/AudioVisual.asp , a mouthful in any language, but of no SEO help in the German version. On the other hand, keeping the same file name helps the webmaster keep track of what all these otherwise "unintelligible" filenames are all about, without resorting to a wall covered in file name translation tables. This is not a simple decision to make.

One question that often comes up is where to house the translated site on a separate site, in a sub-domain or in a directory on the English site.

The general consensus is that it is preferable to give it its own domain with the appropriate country extension...which is easy for German or Italian, but which country do you choose for Spanish? Spain? Mexico? Argentina? The USA? And have you ever tried to apply for a .fr domain?

Second best is a sub-domain, which at least carries a semblance of being a separate site and allows some directories to consider it a home page for listing purposes (and you want those directory links).

Which brings me to my final point. Don't forget to build the links that are so important in SEO. Good quality links. Relevant links, both in terms of topics and in terms of the search terms in the language of the site. There are fewer avenues to build links in French or Dutch than in English. Fortunately, you will need fewer links to get good French or Dutch search engine rankings.

Thinking about expanding your market into Europe, Latin America or the rest of Canada? Get your site translated and get it optimized for the multilingual search engine listings.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

David Leonhardt is a multilingual seo website marketing consultant who offers Spanish language SEO marketing services. Pick up a copy of his http://www.seo-writer.net/books/seo-book.html SEO tips e-book.

Comments on this post

• hiconsoft agrees : thanks for this useful article
    Last edited by Wit; Oct 8th, 2005 at 08:49 AM. Reason: fixed link to comply with current SeoChat rules :)
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Good article, I never actually thought of that before I will keep that in mind from now on.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Thank you for a very intersting article.
  7. No Profile Picture

You are most welcome.
  9. No Profile Picture
    mick.sawyer
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)
    Dude.
    You have some competition.
    I am just setting up a spanish seo company.
    Gorra be said that its one of the most unexplioted markets
  11. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Gorra be said that its one of the most unexplioted markets
    No its not, im the only 1 in croatia
  13. No Profile Picture
    mick.sawyer
    Seriously? there are no more seo`s in croatia?
  15. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

there are "seo" who charge 50$ for submitting to SE or 50$ for couple local directory submission or 50$ to insert same meta tags on all pages and thats it
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Bruno
    there are "seo" who charge 50$ for submitting to SE or 50$ for couple local directory submission or 50$ to insert same meta tags on all pages and thats it
    I should move to Croatia. I'd make a killing... :p
  19. No Profile Picture

Yeah...I imagine the market for SEO consultants in Croatia would be pretty huge, what with all the top-paying multi-nationals located in Dubrovnik.

Yes, that was sarcasm. This is SEO; you could live in Antarctica and do just as well as anywhere else, that is if the penguins will help you set up Internet access.
  21. No Profile Picture
    mick.sawyer
    Yes you are right but then you are wrong.
    Look at the portfilio of a lot of seo sites and firstly you will notice that there are a lot of sites that are in the same country and also you will quite often notice that there are a lot in the same town as the seo company.

I get a lot of people looking for black hats to drive them traffic and they will often say can you reccomend a freelance balck hat in `town`.
    You and i know that this is unimportant becuse with the internet and viop the seo can be the other side of the world or next door to you and you wouldnt know the difference.

People do still look for someone near them and always will.

Comments on this post

• sufyaaan agrees : Very true!:roll:
  23. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Just for that penguins remark, I'm going to (finally) perform some modding here.

Seriously: I'm just trying to be consistent here. SeoChat rules and guidelines and all...

Thanks for the article(s) though. We appreciate quality stuff
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    ·`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  25. No Profile Picture

Sorry, I don't know what rule I broke. I assume that it is not a rule against penguins, but a clarification would be helpful.

As to having clients in one's home town, some people might do that. So far, I have yet to land my first Canadian SEO client, but I have serviced clients in the USA, Australia, the UK, Israel, France, etc.

So, while some SEOs might chase business in their home town, that is far from a requirement to succeed.

Comments on this post

• agrees : He was meaning removing live links from the origional posters article.
  27. No Profile Picture
    mick.sawyer
    Ok then,, the majority of seo`s and web designers will have most of their business in their country or even their home town.

This is just for you -----------
    But you get the occasional one thats never performed for anyone is his/her own country.
    ----------------------- make you happy?.

I have to go now becuse i have some penguin steaks under the grill for me and wit (the cat) and i dont wanna let them get burned.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Thanks for sharing. Good article