1. No Profile Picture
    Utility Bot
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Microsoft Still Needs Help Understanding Search

When a company resorts to bribery not once, but twice in an effort to get customers to try their product, you have to consider that maybe there’s something wrong with the product itself. That’s especially true if the product is free – even if rival products are also free. What does that tell us about Microsoft’s recent actions concerning its search engine?

Read the full article here: Microsoft Still Needs Help Understanding Search

For more discussion go here: Blog Article Discussion

3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I could not disagree with this article more. This article is a masked attempt to bash MSN and love affair with Google. Although this is a subjective subject, this is more about habits and peripheral products than which is a better search engine. I use a lot of Google products (including checkout and custom search) and this is an area where MS could improve (such as their blog service), however the customer service of Google is terrible and heavy handed especially when it comes to Adwords and Blogger (which is an otherwise excellent product).

However when it comes to searches, I need results in my aquatics research and MSN far and away delivers ahead of Google, in fact Yahoo is better as well. Google is too much into aging algorithms and "authority links" so what happens is an article that happens to be from CNN (I had this happen on more than one occasion); it will beat out more relevant articles by lesser known Arthurs.

Just because everyone uses Google, does not make it better. In my industry there is a company that is lot like Google (a lot of good products, and a lot of junk too), this company has done such a good job marketing, many aquarists believe all this companies products are great when in truth (based on my large aquarium maintenance companies use of their products), this is not true. Bio Wheels and UV Sterilizers are another area in my field where people are convinced of non truths.
    MS efforts I will admit are mis guided, they need to offer more and better side products, including a better blog service that is more like a real web site like Blogger or other pay for service blogs. If MS came out with a custom search button like Google, I would dump Google in a second as Googles search button is typical of Google, slow to recognize new articles in my site and not even always relevant within my own site.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'm sorry you disagree so strongly with my article, though I appreciate hearing the different point of view. All I can say is that my experience and the experiences of everyone else I've encountered (at least as far as using the search engines to find relevant results) are different from yours; then again, I know very few people in the aquatics field.

Even so, I can't help but wonder: if Microsoft really is the better search engine, why are they a distant third in the search market? And why are they paying large companies a user bounty to get them to switch to searching with Microsoft Live?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by terriwells
    I'm sorry you disagree so strongly with my article, though I appreciate hearing the different point of view. All I can say is that my experience and the experiences of everyone else I've encountered (at least as far as using the search engines to find relevant results) are different from yours; then again, I know very few people in the aquatics field.

Even so, I can't help but wonder: if Microsoft really is the better search engine, why are they a distant third in the search market? And why are they paying large companies a user bounty to get them to switch to searching with Microsoft Live?
    My guess is poor marketing on MS part. Google has grown in part due to the amount of product they offer from Bloggger to Docs, and on and on. I do use some MS products, I like their groups and I know MS messenger is popular, however these have failed to deliver like all the products Google offers (not to mention Yahoo which had a head start and still offers more products than MS).

As for results in search I still have to wonder how much is perception and how much is reality. Even in the custom Google Search button I have on my site will not bring up an article in m site as quickly as a general MSN search will (eventually Google does catch up I notice though). Personally I like the most current relevant info, however many like what I find Google delivers in my field and that is the heavy hitters, good and bad as far as relevancy is concerned

Finally, I hope you understand my comment is not directed at you personally, I just am sometimes amazed at the love affair with Google based on my search experiences.
  9. Moderator
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I honestly didn't read the article. However I will comment based on the status of the top search engines.

Microsoft IMHO has come a long way in search, has a long way to go but has come a long way. They are making positive changes. This is more than I can say for Yahoo. I have no problem with either Google or msn really. MSN doesn't send that much traffic but I rank well and do get some traffic and they do listen so I am okay with them.

Google does by far have the best search engine. No doubt about that but MSN pulls a second, not a close-second IMO but a second. Yahoo is #4, their traffic and search volume may say different but they are sinking and a boat that is sinking has lost half the battle already.
    -DON’T BUY Keyword Elite V2 till you read this review- Please Digg!
    -SeoChat SEO FAQ - Read the FAQ. It may answer your question.
    -Ultimate Guide to Link Building - What you always wanted to know!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just today I was doing research for a blog entry and was looking for more information about aquarium electrolytes and the results (based more on articles than relevant products, although even here the results were about the same) fell as expected.
    MSN had the most relevant results, followed by Yahoo, followed by Google. Admittedly this does not always happen, which is why I often check all three, although usually only when MSN does not deliver. Today I checked all three more for curiosity.
    I will admit to using Google blog search too as this is one more of Googles vast arsenal of useful products to hook persons.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo