Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Awesome SEO experiment by our members!

Our two valued members Chedders (Chris Chedgzoy) and Thomas Harvey have shared the process and results of their SEO experiment:

Chedders and I are trying to achieve just that. Our goal is to build a platform that provides a quality experience to the user yet we never touch a single specific page. Weve had some great progress so far, but weve certainly got an interesting challenge ahead of us.
    Read the details here:
    Can You Get Fully Automated Pages to Rank in Google - SEO Chat

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Interesting as the site is still under development and about 3 weeks old.

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. Super Moderator

Since yesterday:

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
    • seoman5 agrees
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Awesome test, I work with ecommerce sites so looking forward to seeing the results.

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Interesting test guys. Have you thought about using a user search to auto generate a site map.

What I mean is, if a user searches for something and that page hasn't been auto generated yet (presumably it does once a user makes a search for something?) - check if the page is in the sitemap and if not add it to the site map. This ought to provide an exponential aspect to it once people start using the site.

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
  11. Super Moderator

Interesting test guys. Have you thought about using a user search to auto generate a site map.

What I mean is, if a user searches for something and that page hasn't been auto generated yet (presumably it does once a user makes a search for something?) - check if the page is in the sitemap and if not add it to the site map. This ought to provide an exponential aspect to it once people start using the site.
    That's something we were going to look into adding once we were happier with the search results (products).

A question for everyone, what do you think would happen if we were to submit a sitemap of 10m urls?

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  13. Dinosaur

Just a quick update.

Google is still indexing at an incredible rate
    Search console is now showing over 52,000 pages indexed and 97 pages already on page 1 and growing daily.

Its still too early to start doing some proper tests and I still have a lot of code to write but hopefully once it settles down we can then start checking out some of the myths that fly around.

But a 4 week old project having 52k pages indexed and almost 100 of them on page 1 I honestly dont think is too bad a start.

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  15. SEO Consultant

Very interested to hear your progress. On the question of 10 million URLs submitted via sitemap, I don't think it would do any harm.

Are you guys tracking total URLs, URLs submitted, URLs in sitemap, URLS indexed and the time frame upon which this occurs. It would be interesting to see if there are any volume / indexing functions that can be interpolated and a function derived. I would be happy to help with any data analysis.

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  17. Super Moderator

Very interested to hear your progress. On the question of 10 million URLs submitted via sitemap, I don't think it would do any harm.

Are you guys tracking total URLs, URLs submitted, URLs in sitemap, URLS indexed and the time frame upon which this occurs. It would be interesting to see if there are any volume / indexing functions that can be interpolated and a function derived. I would be happy to help with any data analysis.
    Honestly, we're not at a very indepth level. We normally just track on a day to day basis in the skype chat saying "wow, look at today". I want to really get to a level where we have a baseline, so we have 100k pages indexed and then let traffic level out, see what it does, and then add 1m+ to the sitemap and track daily like that. We've gotten a couple of links from seochat/serpstat from blogs I've done which a normal site probably wouldn't get on launch. So I think that may be skewing this slightly. I'll add you on skype though

Update:

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  19. SEO Consultant

Thanks - my skype is tstolber - one thing I have learned through a career heavily focused in data analysis is document and record everything, no matter how tedious and pointless it seems. You can always interrogate data you took - you can never interrogate data you didn't record - and you don't usually know what you want to investigate until after the fact.

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  21. SEO Consultant

Any update guys?
  23. Super Moderator

I'm working on a month in review post, i've resent the skype request to you. My skype if you don't get the request: thomasharveyme

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  25. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I searched for a few of the search terms from the Latest Searches in the footer but I am unable to find the website for any of them.

Are they the search terms people arrive with on the site or are they the ones people type in when they are on the site?

If they are the terms people use on the site, how do people arrive on the site? As from what I can see it doesn't seem to rank for anything.
  27. Super Moderator

I searched for a few of the search terms from the Latest Searches in the footer but I am unable to find the website for any of them.

Are they the search terms people arrive with on the site or are they the ones people type in when they are on the site?

If they are the terms people use on the site, how do people arrive on the site? As from what I can see it doesn't seem to rank for anything.
    Hi Jan,

Thanks for taking a look at our site.

What we've done is created a sitemap to get Google to find all of our searches, so a lot of the time those latest searches are what Google is crawling for the first time. Every time a bot loads one of those pages (or a user) that list is updated.

As you can see from the below, there's still a long way for Google to go to finish crawling, which is why we won't be ranking for a variety of them.

Honestly that's both, so for example if someone arrives via here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...7j0l5.1415j0j7

(we're second) then you'll see the footer update.
  29. Dinosaur

Its a long tail approach, a lot of the phrases will be really low traffic but its the sear volume of them that is generating the traffic. I doubt it will rank highly for anything competitive as the site is too generic but the long tail approach is seeing pretty much daily increases in traffic as google index more pages.

The site is still very much under development, normally it would still be under wraps but we wanted to give google the time to start indexing before doing any meaningful tests.

Currently as I type 212 phrases are on page 1 and 614 on page 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: