1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Nofollow Over Use

I am curious if you can use no-follow too much. Lets say that you have a site and all the outbound links that are the site to other sites are no-follow. If this is the case then can that affect your page rank and or rank in general?
    I have a site that I am working with that has no outbound link on the site that is without no-follow. My concern is that the search engines do not see outflow at all from my site as if it were a cyber black-hole. Is this telling the search engines that I don't play fairly or is it telling them that I have trust issues (HAHA).
    I am stuck at the bottom of page one and worried this may be one of the factors. Looking at it from an "outside of the box" theory I could see the search engines keeping me lower on the pages because they dont see anything leaving the site to other pages and this is not a conducive relationship on the net. We have to get along with someone but as it stands with all links no-follow I can see it looking like we don't like anyone.
    What are your thoughts?
  3. A Developers Perspective
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Yes this can have a negative effect on your seo. This is because Google see's the web as an endless source of information with pages linking to each other so the user can further their reading if they so require. That is the theory behind it anyway, obviously we all know its not exactly like that. If you therefore have no outgoing links from a page you have reached a dead end and this is not approved of.

I have heard of cases where sites have been penalised due to this, i think JoshZ mentioned it on a previous thread, although becasue I don't make pages with no outbound links haven't come across it myself.

* Just seen the dates on this post...... grrrrr why do people bring up old threads for the sake of it, ^^just wasted that time typing
    Last edited by ChillDot; Feb 13th, 2013 at 03:59 AM.
    If you are new to SEO please read these, On-Page Optimisation and Meta data before asking questions.

Or if you would just like to view my website: http://www.cwhittaker.com, State SEOCHAT for 10% off custom websites

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo