1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation how a blog helps in the SEO of another site???

I know a person who has been pretty successful with his website. his website is about the shipping industry parts and service but to make it to the top of the ranking what he did was he put up a blog about...: recipes.

my question is, how was it possible for a website to benefit SEO wise by using other sites and blogs that talks about a totally different content???

can someone explain this please?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In the past back linking from non related, non relevant sites was acceptable, not necessarily now. The only possible explanation may be few if any competitors for the keywords.
  5. No Profile Picture

i have a theory with regards to this phenomenon, let me know what you think of it.
    since SEO basically all boils down to sales, do you think targeting the interest of a particular demographic might have something to do with a websites success hinging on a non relevant blog?

for example:

I have a company who specializes in AC Disinfection. Now since my company's target demographics is basically the home, like bedrooms - disinfecting ac ducts, carpets and creating a hypoallergenic environment, my aim is to get to the home makers... Mothers who are concerned about their child getting all sorts of allergies.

So what i will do is i put up a blog that targets the interest of home makers, lets say economical, healthy and easy to prepare recipes! if my recipe blog is successful that will mean i have i can easily target my particular demographic. send them news letters, give them bits of hints about allergies and indoor air quality and put up adds on my blog about the ac disinfection company....

do you think this is a viable idea?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Jvn7: I don't think that Wood-pass the relevance test.
  9. No Profile Picture

It's not just demography. If Google can develop Google translate and makes their machine understand human language, what can't they use it on search algorithm?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's an interesting concept, what Jvn7 suggests is artificial intelligence in a sense, which as far as I am aware the search engines do not have. (Yet)

We need to remember that the search engine are computer programs (which can be programmed for a variety of different things.) however that takes time, effort, and money.

Is what he suggests possible right now? Possibly, will Google invest the $$$$ to make this feasible, likely not at this time because of the expense.

Their would be so many different variables that would need to be taken into consideration that just the research stage would be vastly time intensive and expensive.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Variables, such as if this is true, (disinfecting chemicals) then those who are interested in air quality would show relevancy.

But think about how many variances or uses chemicals could have and apply to. Think of tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of variables that could apply to chemicals?

That takes time, & money to program those variances, that's why it's not likely to see something like that for some time, eventually yes as they build mountains of data and connect the correlations with those variances.
  15. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Search engines use a technique known as Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) which allows them to understand (or match) relevance in documents that discuss similar topics, even if they don't actually use the keywords at all. This even extends to understanding the difference between "windows" as a computer system and "windows" as a home improvement project. Without LSI just matching keywords would give some fairly inaccurate search results.

Understanding contextual relevance between documents is complex but it is possible and the search engines have very advanced techniques to do this.

What is being discussed here though sounds a bit too far away from being even loosely related. Regarding being relevant to a demographic, I don't think that is likely, as one demographic might be interested in one subject but a completely different subject might be interested in a related but different search. For example - the windows and windows example would have completely different demographics for the exact same search term. Its an interesting concept, but I don't think it works in practice.
  17. No Profile Picture

that all being said,
    what would you say would be the best way to target a particular demographic or market using SEO then?
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jvn7
    that all being said,
    what would you say would be the best way to target a particular demographic or market using SEO then?
    There are too many variables in your question, are you just learning the ropes of SEO?

If so learn the basics first of on page SEO. I hired a SEO consultant To help me in the beginning with search engine optimization for one of my websites, Then I began to study practice, and test. No SEO Pro will spill the beans for no charge, They may share a smidgen or two of information but that is going to be about it.

It takes serious time, effort, and money to become an SEO ninja master.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by PathwayIns
    There are too many variables in your question, are you just learning the ropes of SEO?

If so learn the basics first of on page SEO. I hired a SEO consultant To help me in the beginning with search engine optimization for one of my websites, Then I began to study practice, and test. No SEO Pro will spill the beans for no charge, They may share a smidgen or two of information but that is going to be about it.

It takes serious time, effort, and money to become an SEO ninja master.
    Even some who claim Expertise in search engine optimization maybe using techniques and strategies That are out of date or ineffective.

To give you an example I have reviewed many different SEO 'gurus' websites claiming skill in this area that Completely fail on page SEO basics.

One on page SEO Technique that search engine optimization gurus fail at is their website itself.

Some search engine optimization gurus websites are old and outdated, lack any clear 'What's in it for me' Benefit to the end-user. (Powerful sales copy that draws prospects in)

The day of content only websites that Have very little graphical appeal are over. Today business owners need a Graphically appealing Web 2.0 website to draw people in, That is attractively designed, and presents a compelling message to the end-user.