1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Long time no see...

We've just launched out site and feel there isn't enough stickiness yet. We don't want to over-think it, and everyone warns us continuously about that, but just as someone aptly pointed out that empty forum topics are embarrasing it seems to me an un-sticky enough site isn't a lot better.

Soooo, is a forum the way to go - do we still get a roaring round of applause? We offer tools like activity feeds (walls of sorts), following, lots of free profiles, a marketplace...bunch on stuff...but at the end of the day we really want to engage folks and have a truly vibrant community.

This is good for the members, of course, but will also be good for the subject of the site (animals and pets for breeders, owners and professionals). It's a super site for promotion just not sure we've nailed it with participation.

Finally, is everyone happy with the SEO coming from their Forums? Any up-to-the-minute updates/thoughts on that part of the discussion? Thanks lots everyone/anyone

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees : Split and edited your post.. please don't bump old threads, thanks.
    • amitkumarmondal agrees
    • seofordentists agrees
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Oct 5th, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture

This is True.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think this is true that forum will increase traffic as well as website PR. Because forum is an online discussion room where people sear your requirement and also get more information instantly about different topic.

Comments on this post

• amitkumarmondal agrees
  7. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Still: most outbound links from forums are now "nofollow", and also most search engines know better than to award 'quick and easy' forum backlinks. That's why forum backlinks stopped being REALLY useful back in 2004 or so

Best to focus on something better instead...
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The great thing about forums is that someone else writes your content that will bring in the traffic. But in reality it takes so much time to moderate and keep the spammers off you might end up concluding you would be better off writing your own content than managing a forum.

My question would be this - why have you launched a forum? Is it out of the goodness of your heart or are you hoping it will create an income stream in some way ... ? The web is littered with "thought it would be a good idea" but now abandoned forums because those who launched them never really thought through why they were doing it.

We all imagine a lovely, chatty place where everyone is nice and helps each other but most of the time forums are just a battle with spammers - there are two on this thread alone ... !

Comments on this post

• seofordentists agrees : This is really effective
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo