Results: Will you use Google Analytics? 

Voters
95 You may not vote on this poll

• Of Course! - Another great free service by Google.
    43  45.26%
  • No Way! - Google ain't mining my data!
    21  22.11%
  • Not on any sites I care about.
    17  17.89%
  • Undecided.
    14  14.74%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Will you use Google Analytics?

ok, i feel like this merits a poll .... i know how i feel already, but how do you guys feel about Google Analytics mining your data?
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

i signed up
    must admit i haven't tried to work out whether t would have any real use or impact
  5. Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by zanet
    i signed up
    must admit i haven't tried to work out whether t would have any real use or impact
    wow. you responded before i even got the poll up...
    speedy zanet...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by zanet
    i signed up
    I signed up but have yet to see it work for more than 5 minutes without going into a nose dive :-). Google, need another server?

Let's keep in mind that this is nothing amazingly different than a mid/good web statistics solution, integrated with Adwords (though I haven't been able to find any of that, yet). A fully integrated solution (with Adsense, possibly more) would be more interesting.

Google has all my data anyway (except for those sites it refuses to index, ha ha ha)
  9. Free the SB

Google's access to all my data scares the cr@p out of me. I'm not going to use it...and I'm disabling the google toolbar.

They are big brother. If I were MSN or Y...I'd sue to keep them from using this.

Dave

Comments on this post

• toddieg agrees : scares me too! no way i'm gonna let them see my 'behind the scenes tactics' ... no way in hell!
    255 chars s*ck
  11. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

I may try it out eventually. Or set up a customer with it, just to see what happens. There is a "pocking the bush with a stick" mentality to it. Maybe a snake will come out, maybe not. It may be fun to try on my spam site if I ever find the time to get it going...

I definately wouldn't use it on a primary site.
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  13. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google already has your adsense stats, your adwords stats with conversions, your api querries, your clickthrough data from the SERPs, toolbar data and more.... so I am not worried about putting this additional data out on their service and they are probably not worried about my skinny little biz.

Comments on this post

• bigdoug agrees : They do have my adsence stats...lol
    • Noodles agrees : I'm surprised they didn't incorperate this into adsense
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  15. Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Google already has your adsense stats, your adwords stats with conversions, your api querries, your clickthrough data from the SERPs, toolbar data and more.... so I am not worried about putting this additional data out on their service and they are probably not worried about my skinny little biz.
    true,
    but they DON'T have the information on my doorway pages, my cloaked pages, my popunder ads, my referrer traffic, my mispelled keywords, my most popular entry / exit pages, the time spent per page or SE traffic from Y!/MSN ....

and there's no way i'm going to give it to them

Comments on this post

• earlpearl agrees : Damn! I gave you rep a short while ago. BIG BIG AGREEMENT w/your last paragraph
    • sorvoja agrees : I agree
    • bigdoug agrees : Save the net as we know it Todd.......
    • sunnymonkey agrees : Its the "important" pages that google are going to find out about.
    • 4Comparison agrees : Bullseye.
  17. aka: jadibones

Of course you would be silly to use it if you are doing any questionable SEO. Im a stats junkie though, so I installed it about 10 hours ago.
  19. Domain Hatcher
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google was built by popularity in the SEO community, and now it looks to exploit that same community. We might not have much in the way of power anymore over SE"s, but this is one stance we as SEO's can certainly take. Only webmasters can be hurt by this script, so why chance it.
    Just say no -

EGOL is right, they do have my adsence results...lol
    Time for Yahoo ads...

D

Comments on this post

• sunnymonkey : DOnt really see what the issue is. Unless your doing something "questionable" ;)
  21. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

It's important to ask oneself why this service is free. When you come to a conclusion, then ask yourself if you're willing and ready to grant Google this boon of information.

The problem, of course, is that so many will that GG doesn't need our stats. It really doesn't matter what we do. They've won the round simply by playing.

Comments on this post

• sunnymonkey : Could it perhaps be free because it will get more people using adwords?
    • jason_sot agrees : valid point... so many will use it (or already are using it) that they will get what they want
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think Rand is correct. To a webmaster, the statistics of his / her website are extermely vital and critical in terms of analysing traffic and ROI etc. It can leak out the core of your SEO campaign. Granting this to G won't be as easy for most of webmasters / SEOs as it might seem.

Apart from all the fishy thoughts, (I think) Google Analytics will become one of the factors establishing "trust" for sites that will be using it in the eyes of G. The reason can be that most BHers won't be using it for their questionable SEO tricks. Just my thought.
    360 Web Directory - Submit your site for free! Just recip. link required!
    Link Exchange with PR 5 for all click here
    How to Utilize your PR5 and above pages (Free Logo Design). Check This Out
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So can someone tell me why they had people lined up to pay $200/MONTH to give Google this information? Match that with their inhouse permantent-top-slot adwords placement for Urchin just a little bit ago :-)

Which other statistics package offers similar data? Is there any other package that ties in with Adwords / Adsense?
  27. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

First it is good to investigate every opportunity as until you do you have zero idea of the value or risks - you are merely speculating on them... which isn't overly useful in this line of work.

You can easily limit your activity while you evaluate the features, benefits, and value with a second PC that in used for nothing else.
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

will never be willing to give my data away to G though they are in the mid way of collecting stats as EGOL pointed out.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page: