1. No Profile Picture

Wikipedia and backlinks

I have been editing Wikipedia in the area of LEDs and LED signage (my company is an LED sign manufacturer). Are these backlinks worth anything?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Links on Wikipedia are automatically nofollowed, so from a site authority perspective: no, they aren't worth anything. Your ranking will not improve as a direct result of having these links.

But!

Wikipedia is the 6th most visited site in the world. If someone clicks and finds your site, then converts, that's still money in your pocket. In my opinion: keep the links and make sure you deliver the best possible user experience and persuasive site design to utilize the visitors they refer.
  5. No Profile Picture
    cbp
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Advantage LED
    (my company is an LED sign manufacturer)
    The links won't stick. They will get deleted when detected.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Total waste of time.
    • Grizzler agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by cbp
    The links won't stick. They will get deleted when detected.
    I find that you can make them stick if you create some relevancy within the article.

For example, if at one point in the article it mentions something about LED lighting efficiency and you have a study/research on your site about this the chances of a link like that sticking are pretty high.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by seopanel
    First of all its really difficult to get a link on wikipedia

Once you get it, surely wikipedia will give you traffic to your websites, because wikipedia listed as first search result in most of the common keywords.
    LED'S and LED signage will not get you a great deal of traffic from Wiki in my opinion (through experience too) unless it's a hot subject. If i searched for something like that i would be searching to buy them, looking for the newest products or finding manufacturers, not reading about the history of LED's.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Advantage LED
    I have been editing Wikipedia in the area of LEDs and LED signage (my company is an LED sign manufacturer). Are these backlinks worth anything?
    I'll buck the trend here. I've seen rankings improve after a link was added to Wikipedia and I've seen this over and over again. Also seen rankings affected when a link is removed from Wikipedia.

Why?

Well quite frankly I don't believe for one second that the major search engines honor the "nofollow" of Wikipedia or a number of other major sites. If I was building a world class search engine would I ignore links from one of the most well moderated and popular article websites in the world? Nope!

And yes, as long as the link is to content which is a unique and valuable source of data it will stick ... most of the time. I've had a few "debates" with Wiki editors on the talk pages - you won't win them all but most are willing to be talked round if they can see you are adding something ;-)
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  13. justanotherseoguy

I've built some links on Wikipedia. Be prepared that they may get removed soon. But they've been driving decent traffic sometimes. Depends on where you place them, what content you have to point them to.
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

This will only security to your site but it will not Google link account.
    Last edited by SATING; Apr 16th, 2014 at 02:39 AM.