1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Why not use "home" for back links?

I was browsing through some old posts and someone mentioned that "home" should not be used for back links.

I realize in the grand scheme of things this may not be too important but when you read so much about how "click here" is a faux pas I started wondering if there is anything to this.
  3. hctibselgoogtonmai
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by tommr1
    I was browsing through some old posts and someone mentioned that "home" should not be used for back links.

I realize in the grand scheme of things this may not be too important but when you read so much about how "click here" is a faux pas I started wondering if there is anything to this.
    The idea is obviously to take advantage of your internal anchors... and yes they do matter, but are not near as important as the user experience.

If you have an keyword that might be used as an anchor to home that is logical to visitors then use it... otherwise stick with what works for them (home or whatever) and make up for whatever loss there might be by other links.
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  5. Contributing User

Thank you.
  7. Contributing User

Why Get Links to Interior Pages. Here is Why.

Here are four reasons to get links to internal/interior pages and how to make it happen.

1. Reduce Bounce Rate
    Home pages are best for generic commercial terms you might see as encompassing what your business does and/or products your company offers as a whole.

If the user types in what he/she is looking for, your homepage pops up, and he/she does not immediately see the subject of interest on the homepage, or he/she has to click three pages in to find it, you may have a high bounce rate due to impatience, lack of scanabable headlines/subheads, or lack of a large graphics blatantly displaying "We have what you want."

2. Garner More Relevant Traffic
    Specificities make the user experience much more enjoyable when the user does not have to weed through or click through multiple links in order to find the point of interest.

When an interior page is more specific(matches exactly) the topic of interest, that person is much more likely to see the resulting page as more relevant (giving them what they want without a lot of of work) and more likely to impulsively act upon what you ask them to do (sign up for a newsletter, email list, put their info in a contact form, download a whitepaper).

3. Create Infinite Keyword Optimization Opportunities
    You are limited to how many keywords you can optimize your homepage for unless you are a linking genius and can achieve a massive variety of anchor text links pointing back at your home page.

Or you write a looooong content filled home page packed with multiple subject matters and subheads going below the fold, and boring people to death and having them stop reading before he/she gets to the info they seek.

With an interior page, it is much easier to keep a person's attention, because you title the page should be exactly what the page is about, it can be succinct, and you do not have to cannibalize or sacrifice certain types of keyword-based traffic for "what's a more important key term" over another.

You have an infinite amount of opportunities if you can create new pages, and get links to those pages.

4. More Real Estate = Higher Chances of Click
    Many times when SEOs, and website owners do keyword research on volume of searches, they do not factor in the click share that is disbursed throughout the page.

The sponsored links could get anywhere from 10 - 15% of the clicks on the page, and the the 1st - 10th organic positions on the first page may receive another 90 - 85% of the clicks.
    Have you ever seen a site that gets its homepage listed, as well as a 2nd listing directly below (easily seen by the indention of the follow listing) the homepage?

If your site is taking up two spots by having an interior page high in search directly below the home page popping up for the same term, you increase the likely hood of someone clicking and visiting. How much you ask?

Google will never tell you, but some smart people put together some estimates by an accidental AOL click search share numbers release. You can infer Google's numbers from there. This is the click share you can assume from a top ten listing as well as the second page.

If you have two spots, you can add those two positions' click share.

Results in:
    Total Searches: 9,038,794
    Total Clicks: 4,926,623

% of clicks
    Click Rank1: 2,075,765 42.13%
    Click Rank2: 586,100 11.90%
    Click Rank3: 418,643 8.50%
    Click Rank4: 298,532 6.06%
    Click Rank5: 242,169 4.92%
    Click Rank6: 199,541 4.05%
    Click Rank7: 168,080 3.41%
    Click Rank8: 148,489 3.01%
    Click Rank9: 140,356 2.85%
    Click Rank10: 147,551 2.99%

1st page: 4,425,226
    89.82%

2nd page: 501,397
    10.18%

Here are three strategies to get Links to internal/interior page & high rankings in search on those pages.

1. Sign up for EzineArticles.com
    If you do not have an account, you are missing out on a huge FREE advantage for getting interior pages indexed fast, getting a quality back link, as well as appearing high in the search engines.

Write a resource-related, non-commercial, helpful, article (publishers love How To's and Lists), put it on EzineArticles and place a link to an interior page of your site in the boiler plate last paragraph.

Why would publishers want your article? Many web publisher use AdSense and get paid a commission by Google every time someone clicks on one of the ads alongside their content on their site. They strive to add fresh and varied content to their site to offer Google new spider food, and possible profitable niche markets.

Avoid using marketing language in your article, but instead offer real tips or techniques that would be of interest to your prospect. You need to give to receive. Your pay off is the link at the end of the article. You can use your anchor text of choice, the actual blue words the person clicks on to get to your http (what you want to pop up under) as the link(s) (you get up to two).

2. Link Bait
    Make your interior page SO unique, and SO useful that it can not be avoided. People will link to it on their own accord. Be bold in what you say and become an authoritative source of information.

Compile information that normally would take a person searching many sites to find. By offering it in one place, you can win over visitors and have he/she link to you as an important central site they want to share with others on his/her own site.

3. Click Distance
    It's best to not have an important interior page more than three clicks from the home page. The home page typically has the best chance of showing up in the search engine because it is natural for people to link to it when making a reference. Link to all of your interior pages from the homepage. A certain amount of internal linking does help interior pages show up in the search engines.
    Last edited by seostew; Mar 9th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.
  9. I Know Kung Fu
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It amounts to Google-bombing your site for the word "Home". If you type in "home" on Google you'll be #1. Not really but that's how the theory goes. If you type in "Click here" on Google you'll find some interesting results. It's not as bad now though...Google recently made changes to filter potential Google bombs like that.

Just try to keep the anchor text on inbound links focused on keywords, but also vary them so you don't get filtered out.
    Last edited by WebGeek182; Mar 11th, 2007 at 02:34 PM.