Thread: Why no inex?

1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why no inex?

Hi guys,

The following site: strada.uk.com is not being indexed by Google and I can't for the life of me work out why.

Tried so far:
    Robots.txt - working fine
    Fetch as Google - sometimes returns as temporarily unavailable occassionnally returns 200 (very weird)
    Request indexing by Google - has indexed the homepage in the last week but nothing else. All other pages indexed are from the 'old' site and return a 404.
    Sitemaps - Sitemaps submitted successfully but with approx 50 errors
    Discourage search engines from indexing (in wordpress) - checked this and it is not ticked
    Checked for no-index on individual pages via Yoast - nothing
    Google Search Console says site is indexed but blocked by robots.txt - but robots.txt seems fine. Further investigation shows 'Submitted URL marked 'No-Index') - [new GSC interface]

This site was redesigned / launched towards the end of 2017 and the Web Devs tell me their sure there's nothing in the build causing this. This is when the no-index problem started.

Can any of you guys think of other places I haven't checked that could be preventing SEs from indexing????

Thanks!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

What probably has happened it that you did not implement a 301 redirect from the old pages to the new pages.

I see a lot of folks just redesign their site with no care to the url structure. If it changes then you will lose all of your previous rankings. Basically you are starting over again.

Your statement...

Originally Posted by sirbaseface
    Request indexing by Google - has indexed the homepage in the last week but nothing else. All other pages indexed are from the 'old' site and return a 404.
    Sitemaps - Sitemaps submitted successfully but with approx 50 errorsSitemaps - Sitemaps submitted successfully but with approx 50 errors
    Your current robots.txt does not have your sitemap listed it it, this will delay indexing of your site by Google.

You changed all your urls from what your statement above indicates. So to help with re-indexing and getting the site rankings back, implement 301 redirects from the old to the new urls. BTW you should redirect on a url for url basis.

You also stated...
    Originally Posted by sirbassface
    This site was redesigned / launched towards the end of 2017 and the Web Devs tell me their sure there's nothing in the build causing this. This is when the no-index problem started.
    I checked your site and I agree that there appears to be no technical issues with the site redesign causing this problem. The problem is that you or your web dev team dropped the ball on your redirects. Fix this issues and your rankings and indexing should return to normal.

So to recap..

Put a reference to your sitemap in your robots.txt file to help with speeding up indexing of the new site with its new urls, also fix the errors at the same time
    Redirect all old urls to their new urls, this may take a bit of time. I hope you have a old copy of your old site as this may not be possible if you don't have a old copy saved.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    What probably has happened it that you did not implement a 301 redirect from the old pages to the new pages.

I see a lot of folks just redesign their site with no care to the url structure. If it changes then you will lose all of your previous rankings. Basically you are starting over again.

Your statement...

Your current robots.txt does not have your sitemap listed it it, this will delay indexing of your site by Google.

You changed all your urls from what your statement above indicates. So to help with re-indexing and getting the site rankings back, implement 301 redirects from the old to the new urls. BTW you should redirect on a url for url basis.

You also stated...

I checked your site and I agree that there appears to be no technical issues with the site redesign causing this problem. The problem is that you or your web dev team dropped the ball on your redirects. Fix this issues and your rankings and indexing should return to normal.

So to recap..

Put a reference to your sitemap in your robots.txt file to help with speeding up indexing of the new site with its new urls, also fix the errors at the same time
    Redirect all old urls to their new urls, this may take a bit of time. I hope you have a old copy of your old site as this may not be possible if you don't have a old copy saved.

Hi NoOneSpecial,

Thanks for the reply. It's much appreciated.
    I assumed the web devs would have put 301s in place as its a pretty obvious mistake.
    I will ask though....

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo