1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

When to release a client

I thought long and hard before posting this ....just goes to show that some clients are totally out of touch with the SEO world today !

I received this email 7 days ago.

I have since tried to explain to Joe, my client, first names can't hurt here, especially since his is Joe. I have told him repeatedly that this will burn his site.

What followed was a phone call. The conversation went basically as follows.....
    "Joe"
    Hey I have done sites before and it is all about tags... I am sending you this work because I don't have time to do it my self. I don't care what you think you know about seo but it's all about the tags. Believe me I know what I am talking about.

"Me"
    Joe I don't recommend the use invisible text of any kind on your site. It will lead to your site being penalized. These are old black hat techniques that no longer work. I can not in good faith proceed with your request to include invisible text any where on your site to game the search engines

This call proceeded on for a few minutes along with some more suggestions to use backlinks from PBN sellers on BHW. Wow ,,, I am thinking how long have you been out of the game. Now because I am refusing to comply with his request to use "his guaranteed" ranking methods, he thinks I am a horse's patute;
    I asked him, Joe if it is that easy, why did you come to me... was I recommended or did I call you and solicit your business in any way. No Joe . you were referred to me as you told me I had been recommended by no less than 4 different folks that you know I have done work for.

In any event after refusing to implement work that I know to be wrong and would do ill-reputable harm to the site and get it penalized, and also taking the time to politely explain it, he is even more impatient, and it all boils down to fact I will not follow his SEO directions.

My question, do I just simply terminated the work I am doing for him, billing him for a couple of hours or would any of you attempt a second time to educate the poor soul as to why this is not a good idea. Me I am leaning towards terminating the relationship and letting him go and eating the loss !!

edited to add....
    I do my billing 30 days net. That is why I said " eat the loss ".
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 27th, 2017 at 09:19 AM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing eh

Sounds like he just needs someone he can fire instructions at and its implemented. A lot will depend on the contract you have (if any), if you can terminate it then if I was in your position I would just walk away. I am sure your time can be better spent elsewhere.

Luckily I dont have clients in the strict sense of the word. All the people I do work for or advise are friends and family, That however does not stop me being approached by people wanting me to build them a PBN or edit their site or give me advice on where I am going wrong. Its really hard to not laugh at some of the suggestions I get. Everyone is a expert.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your input Chedders, Yeah, they are all experts.... sad to say....

I sent him an email earlier containing links to Google articles about such practices, and possible penalties. I even included Seo Hocasi as an example as well...
    (this email was in conjunction with a phone call)

We'll see how it goes. maybe he will change and I can save him from himself...
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 27th, 2017 at 04:00 PM.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You watch as his site fails it will also be everyone elses fault
  9. No Profile Picture

Yep, he does seem that kind of fellow. Thanks for the laugh today Chedders !
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You can't fix stupid, and this seems to be a savire case. He don't have time?? It would have been faster to do it him self rather than emailing and a telephone conversation, perhaps he's looking for a fall guy. Perhaps you should aim him to this thread.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi, KnowOneSpecial, Do what he wants to be and show him what happened next to do the things that he wants. If you try to explain it is not good or it is bad, he will never understand until he will get the poor results by doing the stupid things with their site. But take a written agreement for this.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by sksharma
    Hi, KnowOneSpecial, Do what he wants to be and show him what happened next to do the things that he wants. If you try to explain it is not good or it is bad, he will never understand until he will get the poor results by doing the stupid things with their site. But take a written agreement for this.
    Disagree with this. There is a type of person (and I suspect this person is that type of person) who will find a scapegoat. It won't be anything he recommended that bought the site down.

I don't do contracts anymore, haven't done for years. I can never see how they make sense on a global stage. Either you work together well with a client or you don't. As soon as you don't its time to part ways.

I have had clients who have come and gone and then come back again. Better that way thank trying to hold on and in the end have a bitter split.
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I agree, fire his butt post haste
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

In any service business, you will have occasional clients who suck up your time and raise your blood pressure!

When you find yourself dreading answering the phone, or opening an e-mail, do yourself a favor and cut the client loose.
  21. No Profile Picture

Never get attached to a single client. You always have their best interests at heart but when youre the one getting suckered, its a clear sign to let go!
  23. No Profile Picture

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the input. I also decided to eat the few hours of time invested.

I explained to him I would not perform the work he wanted and why, one last time and he owed me nothing.
    ;
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Sep 2nd, 2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  25. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hey KnowOneSpecial, I won't lie to you because this situation happened to me more than I would have liked.

Here is my experience with it and how I deal with this type of situation now.

The first time it happened, I explained the situation to my client and he insisted, at the time I did not want to loose a client so I ended up doing what he wanted (was worse than just adding some keywords in the header). Obviously he soon lost his rankings, business opportunities and I lost a client. If this was the worst part of the story it would have been not so bad, but the worst part is that this person started saying around that I wasn't someone that could be trust and that I did not work properly because he knew what needed to be done and I didn't work in a proper way. This impacted my reputation and you know it is hard to build a good and strong reputation in the SEO field because of people ignorance on the subject.

Know I prefer loosing a client than doing what he wants. I think about it this way : If you hire a plumber to do some work in your house, and you ask him to do something that won't work properly or will break soon, then that person will refuse to execute the job because if there is any problem his insurance will get pissed at him (sry for the language). I see think exactly the same way. If a client ask me to do something that I think is incorrect this is what I do:

1. Try and explain why this should not be done.
    2. Gently tell him that if he hires a pro then he should trust him and that he should concentrate on his job, what he knows best and let the part he hired me for to me. I also have to explain that my success and business depends on my results with my clients and that my interests are his interests.
    3. If he still insists I gently tell him I will not work for him in this conditions and I ask to stop our collaboration at this point.

What happens next

1. Either the client understands and we keep working together with me leading the SEO strategy and taking the decisions he is paying me for
    2. Or we stop working together. In this case it happened to me to see ex clients coming back crying about their situation (so to speak) in this case I generally either set a double or triple price (depending on how stupid and insistent the client was) or in some case just tell them gently that hey have what they deserve and that I hope they will listen the next professional they will work with.

All this to say that it's not an easy situation but in the end your better off with one less client (even if it means earning less money) than doing s*** because you were forced to. But this is only a personal experience.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  27. No Profile Picture

I had similar issue with a client that even said 'Why can't you do what I asked you especially when no one will know you did it'. I first reminded him of the contract where I stated (in bold) that 'any request of performing any unethical or black hat SEO will be refused and might result in client braking the contract' and so on.

I tried to explain to the client that this will hurt his ranking, if not today, tomorrow for sure, but the client was still not willing their change their mind. So I decided to politely and in the most professional manner possible, to cut the business relationship.
  29. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Agree with everyone else.
    One bad client takes 2 or 3 times as long to manage (email, phone, answer questions explain things etc etc) than a good client.
    Plus they are almost always the lowest paying contracts, perhaps because they don't value your time?

I stipulate in all contracts now that clients will defer to my recommendations.