1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

When do remote-hosted content/page elements affect SEO?

Newbie trying to understand exactly what determines when 3rd party hosted content or page elements begin to affect SEO.

I've read that using a service like Amazon S3 to host videos, images, Javascript and CSS will not negatively impact SEO/page rank. If that is so, then what triggers a hit on your SEO as you move elements of your site elsewhere? Is it solely when/if you move the html to another site/server?
  3. No Profile Picture

Does anybody know?
  5. No Profile Picture

somebody has to know. If my videos and images are hosted on an Amazon S3 account rather than on my website's server, does that negatively affect SEO. IF not, then I'm trying to understand what determines when having elements on a remote server does have an affect.

Does my site still get all SEO benefit if I move absolutely everything - videos, images, css, even text - to a remote server/address, and leave only a skeleton of html that pulls everthing back into the webpage?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This deserves a bump.

Take this with a grain of salt, as this just educated assumption.

Search engines rely on text. You can move scripts and css off-site (If you're using cookies, it's actually recommended to have content like scripts and css off-site, at least on a subdomain, as it affects caching speed)

Text should be on-site. If you're a web app that could mean making sure the text you generate from PHP or Ruby or whatever is properly served in the html of a page. Avoid cloaking content though.

Video seems like a safe bet to store off-site. You'll probably have better leverage if you mark up the page it's embedded on with Schema(dot)org tags.

Images, could be a bit of a split. It seems like Google indexes them based on the page they're on rather than the domain they're served from (like s3), but I'll let someone chime in with a more exact answer.