1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What is the SEO value of PDFs, if any?

I was several years ago that have a duplicate of a page created as a PDF was a good SEO tactic. I've been looking around for information about this and have not learned if PDF indeed help with SEO rankings. I know there are debates about the inbound links from PDFs which I do see the point of.

To me it would seem like this is still duplicate content even though one is in HTML and the other is a PDF. Does having the same page in a different format help SEO? If not then I'm thinking of putting rel="nofollow" on them. If these are seen as duplicate, perhaps I need to put rel="canonical" instead. Thanks for any insight you guys might have.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I found some information about this:
    Make your PDFs work well with Google (and other search engines)

It's from 2009 so things have changed. Does anyone know the state of PDFs for SEO at this time?
  5. No Profile Picture

I dont know particularly about PDFs but I know that providing portable or downloadable documents on your website is beneficial. People will obviously prefer to have the document or the content with them so that they can read it whenever they want. Not every time they would wish to use internet. Downloads can include items such as a newsletter, a brochure or a guide.

As such, PDFs can be of great value. Check this out: davecain.co.uk/blog/seo-pdf-documents
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi,

Yes, google states that pdf files are crawled similar to a text file and they are indexed like all other pages and the links have seo value. PDF is a factor in website SEO (Search Engine Optimization) in direct proportion to the volume of PDF-based content on that site.

In terms of PDF files, the blue underlined text in Google's search results comes from one of two places. First, Google looks in the "Title" document information field.
    Last edited by dzine; Jan 17th, 2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: snipped sig
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks, that article answers my question. The PDFs are treated as another page so content has to be unique and relevant in order for it to be a benefit. My purpose for the PDF would have been to be printer-friendly of a page but then it'd be duplicate content. Thanks for the feedback!