1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What the heck?!?! Google screw up or spam?

A few days ago I got this email:

Hello,

We regularly review sites in the AdSense program for compliance with our program policies. We found that you are in violation of these policies on pages such as <snipped url #1> .

We found that you are using language which may encourage your website users to click on the Google ads you're serving through AdSense. This activity - which can artificially inflate AdWords advertiser costs - is prohibited by our program policies. For example, your site cannot contain phrases such as "click the ads," "support our sponsors," "visit these recommended links," or other similar language that could apply to any ad, regardless of content. We therefore request that you please remove language encouraging clicks from all pages in your network.

Please make the necessary changes to your web pages in the next 72 hours. We also suggest that you take the time to review our program policies (https://www.google.com/adsense/policies ) to ensure that all of your other pages are in compliance.

Once you update your pages, we will automatically detect the changes and ad serving will not be affected. If you choose not to make the requested changes to your account within the next three days, we will disable ad serving to the site.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team
    But that is not one of my sites, so I sent a polite email asking them to please check their records as a mistake had obviously been made. Just now I get a new email from them:

Hello,

We regularly review sites in the AdSense program for compliance with our program policies.

We previously notified you we have found language on your site which may encourage your website users to click on the Google ads you're serving through AdSense. Unfortunately, the site we referenced was incorrect. The correct URL is <snipped url #2> . We apologize for any confusion this error has created.

As previously mentioned, we request that you please remove any language that encourages clicks from your site. Please make these necessary changes by Thursday, November 3rd. Once you update your pages, we will automatically detect the changes and ad serving will not be affected. If you choose not to make the requested changes to your account within the next three days, we will disable ad serving to the site.

If changes have already been made to your network of sites, thank you for your cooperation and please disregard this email.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team
    Problem is, that's not one of my sites either. Is this a new form of spam? If so, what am I supposed to be buying? Couild Google really be this screwed up?
    Last edited by Wit; Nov 1st, 2005 at 12:27 AM. Reason: snipped urls, your point is clear without them :)
  3. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Did you check those domains' whois info?

http://whois.sc/somedomain.com

Did they use your address perchance?
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  5. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Could be a scrapper site...

Some scrapper site even take your adsence code...
  7. No Profile Picture

Neither link had content from any of my sites, so they don't appear to be scrapping from me.

I guess my real concern is do I write Google back again, or do I just let google ban these sites from adsense? If google determines that these sites are in violation, will google ban the site from displaying ads, or will they ban my account? Its ok with me if they'll just ban the site, because they're not my sites. On the other hand, if they shut down my adsense account because of these sites I'll be most unhappy.
  9. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

They'll most likely go for the adsense account. If I were you I'd contact them again...
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Wit
    They'll most likely go for the adsense account. If I were you I'd contact them again...
    I agree. I would not take any chance that they would "accidentally" ban my account because of someone else's foobar. And yes, it is not beyond the realms of believability that Google could be this screwed up. Sheesh.
  13. No Profile Picture

"Ben" from Google responded to my last email. He gave me the URL on which the offense occured. It was a different one again, but at least one I was familiar with. Still not my site, but I was at least familiar with the URL. Turns out there was an offense that involved my site. I was talking about a bit of freeware I had on one of my sites in a forum and jokingly told people to click on an ad if they liked the software.

The thing that troubles me is that the post was made over a year ago (right after I released the program), in a private forum, among friends. The post included smiley graphics if I remember correctly, but I have no way to check since that forum (or the site it was on) has not been online for nearly four months. I admit that if you just got the text (and not the smiley pictures) it looks bad, but why now? How did Google see it anyway?

Moral of the story: Joking about ad clicks (even in private company) is about as funny to Google as shooting the {inc file="highest-placed-elected-official-in-the-US"} is to the Secret Service.

Comments on this post

• Wit agrees : Thanks for the warning. Lots of people should know this :)
    • toddieg agrees : kind of like how you don't say 'bomb' on an airplane, you shouldn't 'joke' about people clicking on your ads either :D
  15. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Adsense Bowling?

What an Evil thought.... makes me feel like i should encrypt my adsense code.

Comments on this post

• SuccessGuru agrees : Whoa, that's hardcore
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Tim_Myth
    How did Google see it anyway?
    Perhaps one of your "friends" outed you.
  19. Protecting wit's mice
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

lol, there's either too many people working there or they're really desperate... On the other hand, this might be fun to keep the competition busy for a while [-evil-grin-here-]