1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What is a good conversion rate? My site is getting alot of traffic not sale.

Hello, I am new here. I am glad to find such a helpful forum.

I have this question in mind, what is a good conversion rate ?

I recently started an ecommerce website selling woman's fashion clothing. I spent some money and marketed the site using google/yahoo/facebook and getting quite abit of views at about 1000+ unique IP.

But so far my conversion rate has been .... zero. Yep, not even a single sale so far with over 1000 unique viewers.

Am I expecting too much ? What am I doing wrong ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

My Site: d2istore.com
  3. Anand Mistry
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by smashhell
    Hello, I am new here. I am glad to find such a helpful forum.

I have this question in mind, what is a good conversion rate ?

I recently started an ecommerce website selling woman's fashion clothing. I spent some money and marketed the site using google/yahoo/facebook and getting quite abit of views at about 1000+ unique IP.

But so far my conversion rate has been .... zero. Yep, not even a single sale so far with over 1000 unique viewers.

Am I expecting too much ? What am I doing wrong ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

My Site: d2istore.com
    I have visited your website & found that: you need to work more on it.

eCommerce conversion rate variation will be with site value.

I would like to recommend following great article to know more.

August 2010 Survey

Here, you can find out great article: What is requirement to improve eCommerce conversion rate?

Best eCommerce conversion rate

Here, you can find out list of top eCommerce conversion website: why they have? if we will visit so, we can get more idea. Branding is also one part of eCommerce conversion rate. But, that will be with you after hard work on initial level.

I am also working on eCommerce websites. I want to share some of my experience which can help you more.

1. Have you rocking eCommerce website? to beat your competitors, which are on top 10 with your targeted keywords.

2. Have you some attractive & cheap products? If you are selling apple with $100.00 & competitor with $90.00 so, you have to shuffle your basket.

3. Have you great customer support?

4. Have you accurate product inventory & details of that products?

If you are targeting modern women's handbags due to high search volume & if you have not a single modern women's handbags so, you have to stock that.

To get higher rank with specific keyword is very separate thing to eCommerce conversion rate.

Just satisfy your buyers & give that products which they actual searched.

Buyers are searching for cheap men's watch & if you have that one so, you don't need to worry....you will get order from that buyers....If buyer will not buy on first visit so, realize after visiting such website & think that: that website have cheapest one so, why should I not checkout over there....??

SEO tactics to get higher rank are always there...but fulfill buyers requirement what they really need.
    Last edited by khushimistry; Feb 23rd, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What makes a "good" conversion rate depends a lot on what you're selling, the level of competition, etc but generally speaking for a retail site like yours I would consider 3-4% or more to be good.

After glancing at your site, I'd suggest reading up on conversion rate optimization and adwords optimization.

Your homepage has a splash screen that takes a long time to load. If you're using that as the landing page for your paid traffic, I'm not surprised that you're not converting.

It's important for your landing page to load quickly. More importantly, the homepage doesn't *look* like what a someone shopping for clothes expects to see. A potential customer will see that, realize they'd actually have to work and think to find something they'd want to buy, and hit the back button.

Aim your ads at the most relevant pages possible. You want people to click your ad and immediately see products for sale on a fast loading page.

Also look at your conversion funnel, see if anyone is making it to the first part of checkout. If they are, see where they are leaving and look for problems on that page.

And you might make that "Add to cart" button more prominent by making it bigger, using a brighter color and/or placing it higher.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by khushimistry
    I have visited your website & found that: you need to work more on it.

eCommerce conversion rate variation will be with site value.

I would like to recommend following great article to know more......
    That is a great article. I'll definitely read up more on it.

Originally Posted by UberDude
    What makes a "good" conversion rate depends a lot on what you're selling, the level of competition, etc but generally speaking for a retail site like yours I would consider 3-4% or more to be good.

After glancing at your site, I'd suggest reading up on conversion rate optimization and adwords optimization.

Your homepage has a splash screen that takes a long time to load. If you're using that as the landing page for your paid traffic, I'm not surprised that you're not converting.

It's important for your landing page to load quickly. More importantly, the homepage doesn't *look* like what a someone shopping for clothes expects to see. A potential customer will see that, realize they'd actually have to work and think to find something they'd want to buy, and hit the back button.

Aim your ads at the most relevant pages possible. You want people to click your ad and immediately see products for sale on a fast loading page.

Also look at your conversion funnel, see if anyone is making it to the first part of checkout. If they are, see where they are leaving and look for problems on that page.

And you might make that "Add to cart" button more prominent by making it bigger, using a brighter color and/or placing it higher.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
    Wow, I didn't even thought of any of that. I guess I do need more work on my site.

So I should lead the customer to a different landing page /or do a better homepage that shows products/deals etc ?

Thank you very much for helping.

Edit:
    Ok, I did a quick change for the front page photo to load faster and change the landing page to the new product page. Will do more changes later. Hopefully I'll get my first sale soon, even than my conversion rate will only be 0.1%. I need to do better than that lol.
    Edit:
    Just changed the color of the "Add to cart" button too. I am likeing it much better so far. =)
    Last edited by smashhell; Feb 23rd, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
  9. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

you might also want to consider monitoring the activities of your visitors on your site.. using web stats like google analytics can help.. there you can check what page their visit and the time..
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by leftybogs
    you might also want to consider monitoring the activities of your visitors on your site.. using web stats like google analytics can help.. there you can check what page their visit and the time..
    Originally Posted by limohire
    I have visited you site, you will do more work for this site, do SMO, social bookmarking and classified adds, also check your traffic with Google analytic tool.
    So I have been checking user visits with Google Analytic tools for a couple of weeks.

And .... I got some pretty depressing statistic.

80 % of the visitors on my site stay for less than 2 minutes.

Is that even normal ? What am I doing wrong?
  13. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by smashhell
    So I have been checking user visits with Google Analytic tools for a couple of weeks.

And .... I got some pretty depressing statistic.

80 % of the visitors on my site stay for less than 2 minutes.

Is that even normal ? What am I doing wrong?
    It may not be the fact your doing something wrong mate. It may just be down to the fact your in a very competitive market.

You dont only need to make sure your site is as best it can be to get people to look around more and ultimately get sales but you also need to offer a good range of products that top others on the market, not only by being better designs but also good prices!

Check your competition as well as your own site and see what makes you different from all the rest!

Work out what they are doing right to get sales, work out what you can offer that they dont offer and market that on and off site.

Mix that in with your seo and you WILL get sales! You dont just need SEO, you need marketing and a good strategy to do better then your competitors in a very competitive market.

Comments on this post

• UberDude agrees
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That's not necessarily a bad stat for a retail site in a competitive niche. You'll get a lot of people who are just browsing around checking out different sites. They're potential buyers, but have not yet committed to making a purchase.

In analytics, see if you can isolate the traffic that only sticks around for 2 minutes and see if they have anything in common. Are they all coming from the same place or using the same keywords? If so, you might not be getting very well targeted traffic. Are they all taking a similar path, all exiting on the same page or same type of page? If so, that could be a hint that there's a problem to fix - either something loading slow or not correctly, or just some kind of design issue where users aren't seeing a call to action or are getting confused by the navigation.

Out of your traffic that does stay for more than 2 minutes, are any of them making it to checkout?

I strongly suggest you check out this article, it's full of great advice for improving conversions: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-definitive-howto-for-conversion-rate-optimization
    Last edited by UberDude; Mar 7th, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

you are entering in to an industry of consumers that do a lot of "shopping;" meaning, many viewers are just looking and it might not be the right time for them to buy, so...you need a registration form.

Something that can trap their emails. This way, you can send out a blast email campaign around the 15th and 30th of each month when many people get paid, and offer a 5% OFF Discount that day only or something.

secondly, you just have the price on the product pages. Try putting the SRP price with a slash through it and then the actual price at your website. Proof of savings.

third, keep shopping patterns in mind. Some people like to hunt for bargains, some want to see the best sellers, some shop by size, some shop by color or brand and some want the newest stuff. You only offer people a way to sort based on new stuff.

fourth, you're a new site. you need to have an about page. If i happen to find your site and I've never been there before, I might want to learn a little more about your company. Where do you get your clothes? how often does inventory change? what sort of dresser do you speak to? do celebrities wear these clothes or styles? etc. Just putting up a picture, price and a link to a paypal account seems scammy. I have a feelin you're not but just sayin, consumers will look for many reasons to not buy from you and they will make a decision about your business without ever meeting or seeing you, so offer information that makes them want to do business with you. Consumers love to research.
    Last edited by AZdevil2.0; Mar 7th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    It may not be the fact your doing something wrong mate. It may just be down to the fact your in a very competitive market....
    Yeah, this market is alot more competitive than I realize. This is going to be alot harder than I thought to be successful.

Originally Posted by UberDude
    Out of your traffic that does stay for more than 2 minutes, are any of them making it to checkout?
    I will need to look into that. I am not sure if very many of them made it to checkout at all.

Originally Posted by AZdevil2.0
    you are entering in to an industry of consumers that do a lot of "shopping;" meaning, many viewers are just looking and it might not be the right time for them to buy, so...you need a registration forms......
    Those are very good ideas. Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will look into putting them in very soon.