1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What does everyone think of "barnacle SEO"?

I was just talking with Darren Shaw on Twitter, and he mentioned "barnacle SEO". He explains it as: "it's when a business ranks well using a 3rd party site." He then linked to this query, with the Yelp listing as an example: https://www.google.com/search?q=chicago+plumber

Do any of you do barnacle SEO for yourselves or clients? Been thinking its a cheap way to get a client some exposure by leveraging a more powerful domain. What are everyone's thoughts?
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I don't love the sound of the tactic, but the name is brilliant "barnacle SEO" whoever came up with that needs a pat on the back.
  5. justificational oblivion
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I've seen a bunch of this tactic....it works in small niches but it is difficult to scale imo
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It's more common with overseas firm. I do not see the point in it when you can have the money site ranking where a 3rd party profile is.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think it's an interesting way to leverage domains that have way more authority than a client's site does, just like you put it.

It probably works best for local businesses in smaller niches, but I agree with WhiteRabbit and JoshZ - it's probably not something that can be scaled out too much and it's going to be a little harder to monetize it as efficiently, because now in addition to the client conversion rate on their own site, there's the CTR from a 3rd party site to the client site that has to be taken into account as well. Plus, in the example provided, what if the Yelp reviews are negative? Then you need to get into an ORM campaign, which might cost more time and money than it would to just get the client's site onto Page 1.

If a client has some 3rd party presence showing on Page 1 that happens naturally, then cool -they get some nice referral traffic from it. But I don't know if it's something I'd actively seek out. The way Google cross-promotes their own products, I wonder if it might just be easier to create a Google+ business page and use that to sneak onto Page 1 for those localized searches.

And yes, as Darren said, what a great term for it, lol.