Thread: What Do You Do?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What Do You Do?

What up people!

Ok question, please provide feedback and not what was the right or wrong thing to do about the manual action and domains.

A company had a .com domain and a site that got hit with a manual action years ago, that action has been removed.

To combat that they created a .net version of the site and left both be for the last 2 years. Well the .com manual action was removed.

Here are some stats about both domains (with duplicate content for the most part). Let me know if you need more info. Please note too that some of the very top links I can ask to have pointed to the new domain, I would say 75% of them.

.com =

31 DR and 47 URL Rating. 31 of 200 tracked keywords (over 100 searches a month) in the top 10. 8.8k backlinks, 6 with a UR rating of 20 or above (not bad). Much older domain.

.net =

29 DR and 29 URL rating. 99 of 200 tracked keywords (over 100 search a month) in the top 10. 3.9k backlinks, 9 with a UR rating of 20 or above. not too bad, but a younger domain by 5-6 years.

What do you do? We want to combine the sites. Winner gets a thumbs up!

Thanks
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Not really sure what you're asking if I'm going to be honest. Third party metrics like the above literally mean nothing though.

If you're wanting to migrate domains, 301 redirect the domain url by url. domainA.com/I-like-pants to domainB.com/I-like-pants etc.

Saying that, I'm always a bit skeptical of a domain which has been manually penalised in the past. There's been a few cases I've heard about where the domain has never got back to 100%.

Comments on this post

• evejones agrees
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It is hard to understand what you actually want to ask!
  7. Always Wrong

I didn't see a question honestly. the closest thing to it was the word feedback. I would say as far as dealing with a company that has been slapped with a penalty by Google, If you're Forbes magazine I might consider linking back to you at some point, otherwise, I would want nothing to do with the domains name or brand.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

As everyone else probably wants to know....

What is DR, and what is url rating...and whom is providing those metrics, those two only confuse the issue...

With that aside....

Take the lessor perfoming domain and 301 it to the better performing domain. That is the simple answer.

edited to add
    Be careful tho, you could tag the site with some bad links if not careful.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jun 5th, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What do I do?

I'd look at the conversions of each site (if conversion is at play). I'd look at the visits too and the quality (are they my intended visitors?). Then factor bounce rate.

Whichever of the sites is performing better on these metrics gets to stay. The other will be deleted but 301s will be in place to make sure that whoever visits a page on that website is redirected to its better-performing twin.
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by tapupartforpres
    What do you do?
    If I were you I would hire someone who knows what they are doing to properly unpack all that
  15. No Profile Picture

If you want to combine both the sites, then do proper redirection method. Place 301 redirection.

<snip>
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jun 26th, 2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Delinked post and warned
  17. No Profile Picture

Try to get the new domain and redirect the previous one on the new domain. This may be the solution

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo