1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

What could be done, even location based keywords not ranking - Please Advice

My friend asked me to do SEO for his site and even told me that he took SEO service from another firm six months back but stopped because of no improvements/high price.

Backlinks created by the previous SEO firm, almost 80% where from (private blog network/link farm). I removed almost all bad links. I ran whole website through copyscape, tidied up some internal links, made lot of on-page changes, and for last three months has been building backlinks from local listing sites etc, but still not even one keyword is ranking in Google, but all the keywords are ranking in first page of Bing/Yahoo.

I doubt that this site has been penalized by Google for bad links created from (blog network/link farm) by the previous SEO firm before i taking over the site for SEO. I removed almost 25 bad links from the private link network. Should i go for reconsideration request even though i never got any warning in google webmaster tool for past two months?

I can give the website url through PM if anyone wants to review. Please advice, any suggestions, feedbacks really appreciated.
    Last edited by vincentind; Nov 19th, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
  3. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Sounds like the link farm could have gotten you a penalty but without know the full story (seeing your sites link profile and knowing the links you removed etc), it would be guess work.

Its like me asking you if you think my site design is good, but I didn't both to show you it, I just explain what it looks like, so you would only be able to guess!

For your comment about not having got a message in webmaster tools, has the site owner always had access to it or did his seo company have access before changing to you? If he didn't have access, maybe the other guys simply didn't tell him of the warning because it was due to their link farm?

Still I would have personally sent a reconsideration request to let google know I was taking over from a company that had been doing wrong and given full details on all the links I had removed, along with giving any more details you feel could help show google you are taking over the site to do the job right rather then with spam. And it would have let them know about the link farm at the same time

Comments on this post

• vincentind agrees
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the repsonse NathanielB. I've sent you the url and links i removed in PM, any suggestion really appreciated.

When i took over the site there was no webmaster/analytics code/script. I created and verified both. So i assume previous SEO firm didn't create or as you said didn't tell my friend of the warning because it was due to their link farm, but for past three months i never received any warning message.

I read that even disavow tool should be used in extreme cases and not to abuse it. Do you think i need to send a reconsideration request even though i never received any warning message? Will Google consider it as abusing their tool? correct me if i'm wrong
  7. justificational oblivion
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you're not afraid of further inquiry into the site, then it could not hurt.

In the past couple months, I've seen sites get hit without the link warings. Although...I do remember Matt saying something fairly recently about penalties and link warnings. Either way, the deciding factor is if there are links or activities on there that you don't want to attract further inquiry into the site but if you were just doing clean up work, that doesn't sound like an issue for you.

Originally Posted by vincentind
    My friend asked me to do SEO for his site and even told me that he took SEO service from another firm six months back but stopped because of no improvements/high price.

Backlinks created by the previous SEO firm, almost 80% where from (private blog network/link farm). I removed almost all bad links. I ran whole website through copyscape, tidied up some internal links, made lot of on-page changes, and for last three months has been building backlinks from local listing sites etc, but still not even one keyword is ranking in Google, but all the keywords are ranking in first page of Bing/Yahoo.

I doubt that this site has been penalized by Google for bad links created from (blog network/link farm) by the previous SEO firm before i taking over the site for SEO. I removed almost 25 bad links from the private link network. Should i go for reconsideration request even though i never got any warning in google webmaster tool for past two months?

I can give the website url through PM if anyone wants to review. Please advice, any suggestions, feedbacks really appreciated.

Comments on this post

• vincentind agrees